Answered

Ducking issue raising it's head again?

• 13 August 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi All,

Recently I’ve noted that my Sonos Play One (Alexa control switched off) no longer ducks when I make an Alexa request to the Dot that is part of the Dining Room Group.  The Sonos is the preferred speaker in this group, and it’s frustrating having to BELLOW commands to Alexa as the Play One no longer lowers the volume when an Alexa request is made.

Is anyone else seeing this issue ….. again!?

Cheers,
Ripface

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 14 August 2023, 19:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @ripface

I haven’t seen any other mention recently of this issue you’re experiencing, so I’d recommend a few troubleshooting steps.

Firstly, try and remake the group in the Alexa app, if that doesn’t resolve the issue, then I would recommend removing and re-adding Alexa in the Sonos app.

If none of these options resolve the ducking issue, I would recommend you reach out to our support team for some live troubleshooting as they have the necessary tools to help troubleshoot your system.

I hope this helps!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The Sonos One has Alexa disabled. I'm using a Dot to control the Sonos with it set as the favourite speaker. I'll try deleting and recreating the group

The Sonos One has Alexa disabled. I'm using a Dot to control the Sonos with it set as the favourite speaker. I'll try deleting and recreating the group

If you have Alexa on the Sonos One, but with its mic ‘switched off’, then simply place it in the first ‘enabling’ (controlling) section of the same Alexa group, alongside the Echo Dot and it should then duck its audio, hopefully.

Note each Amazon/Sonos device can only be used just the once (across all groups) as an ‘enabling’ group device. So ensure the Sonos One is not already enabling another group.

If rebuilding the Alexa group @ripface, then also don’t forget in the 3rd ‘Speaker’ section of the group, to set the ‘playback options’ to ‘ALWAYS’ in the Alexa App. See screenshot attached.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hey Ken, thanks for the pointer.  I checked the group and it’s already set to ALWAYS.  Will double check that when I delete and recreate the group.  Cheers, John

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hmm, deleted the “Dining Room” group and recreated it making sure the setting was “ALWAYS” for the Sonos speaker.  No change, still not ducking.

Just to be clear I’n only using the Sonos speaker for music and not for Alexa functions.  The Alexa functions are disabled.

Cheers!

Hmm, deleted the “Dining Room” group and recreated it making sure the setting was “ALWAYS” for the Sonos speaker.  No change, still not ducking.

Just to be clear I’n only using the Sonos speaker for music and not for Alexa functions.  The Alexa functions are disabled.

Cheers!

Can you post a screenshot of the group. Also see if the attached ‘example’ group might help you to sort it too…

(note if you install Alexa on the speaker, then stick it in the first section of the group, but disable its mic. If not then put it in the second section of the group) - then, of course, you also need to add it as a speaker to the 3rd section of the group too.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Coooellll!

It works.  Re-enabled Alexa services on the Sonos One.  Added it as a second Alexa device to the group, switched off the mic …. and bingo, it now ducks.

Soooo obvious, how could I have missed this!

; ^)

Thanks for the help, especially Ken!!