Answered

"Discovery Failed" when trying to add devices to Alexa with Sonos One

• 21 November 2017
  • 26 replies

I get a "Discovery Failed" message when trying to discover devices through my new Sonos One with Alexa. I've followed the following steps:

1. Set up Sonos One and added voice control with Alexa. Alexa responds to commands and knows who I am
2. Set up the Alexa app, connected it to my account
3. Enabled the smart skill for Sonos

I tried both asking Alexas to discover devices ("Alexa, discover devices") and trying to locate devices through the Alexa app but I get a very quick "Discovery Failed" response (see image)

For what it's worth, I've also tried to connect my Nest thermostat by enabling that skill and connecting my account, but that device also cannot be discovered.

Also, I've tried to uninstall my apps and go through this entire process again. That also does not work. Please help.
icon

Best answer by goldnotsilver 10 December 2017, 16:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

I'd also note that I tried to call Sonos Support, but I waited on the line for 15 minutes without an answer, and finally gave up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi goetzum

A couple of things to check first:

1/ Can you make sure that you are not logged on to any other Amazon account in ANY other app on devices logged in via your email address - this can confuse Alexa with regard to the linking of your Sonos account to your Amazon account;
2/ Make sure that if you have multiple Amazon accounts that you've Enabled the Sonos skill in the Amazon account that you've linked to your Sonos account.

If the problem persists after these steps then please follow the steps I've listed in the Answer in this post which will reset Voice Control and rerun the Set-Up.

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239

Let us know how you get on.
I've just purchased a Sonos One and have an existing Gen 1 Alexa Echo device. All my devices (Hue Lights (Gen 1 Bridge) and Nest (Gen 3)) was fine whilst I had my Alexa Echo Connected.
Once I set up my new Sonos One configured and working, I decided to switch off my Echo, after a couple of hours I noticed that simple commands to Sonos One to "switch off my lights" she couldn't find any of the Hue Lights. I tested if she could find my Nest Thermostat and that was fine. With Echo off, I re-discovered all the devices in the house with Sonos and could only detect the Nest. I had to switch my Echo back on and rediscover all my devices and now I'm running Echo and Sonos One just control my lights.
I wonder if the Sonos One can't detect the ZigBee protocol or I need to upgrade my Hue Bridge to latest Square one?
Same error message for me. Newly setting up Sonos system. Tried same things as goetzem.

UKMedia, tried all your steps as well.. and the steps linked in your post on the other thread. (I guess I don't totally understand step 1... i do have an amazon app with my own amazon account but Prime is through my wifes. If your implying that we cannot have any other amazon listed on any app anywhere in our phone... well then... thats going to be difficult. But it's not on any music services or sonos linked accounts.)

Tried to do it through my wifes phone too to see if it was something on mine. No dice. Still just says discover failed.
Getting the same error message on a new Sonos One. The skill seems to be set up but getting the quick discovery failed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same error message for me. Newly setting up Sonos system. Tried same things as goetzem.

UKMedia, tried all your steps as well.. and the steps linked in your post on the other thread. (I guess I don't totally understand step 1... i do have an amazon app with my own amazon account but Prime is through my wifes. If your implying that we cannot have any other amazon listed on any app anywhere in our phone... well then... thats going to be difficult. But it's not on any music services or sonos linked accounts.)

Tried to do it through my wifes phone too to see if it was something on mine. No dice. Still just says discover failed.

You need to have a single Amazon account linked to all of your Echo devices (including the Sonos One). Have you tried to discover on the PC app https://alexa.amazon.co.uk or .com?
I am having the same problem. And have tried the website, application etc. Sonos works fine but alexa will not discover the device. I have followed all advice given here. Please help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having the same problem. And have tried the website, application etc. Sonos works fine but alexa will not discover the device. I have followed all advice given here. Please help!

A basic question; Can you check that you have added the Sonos skill to the same Amazon account that you've linked to your Sonos account?
Of course, I followed the full list of steps you posted in the other thread. Calling Sonos this morning but finding this to be an extreme waste of time.
Finally...a post that shows others are having the same problem. Especially the indication that it's not just sonos, it's hue. I manage a development team for both mobile and web apps and deal with bugs in software and the resistance some developer have towards it being a flaw in the software and the assumption that it's user error. Typically I can google through any issue (life long early adopter here) but I have not seen anything that shows a solution that has clearly worked...and most of the solutions are pretty annoying. I will say it's likely an Amazon issue that Sonos and Hue need to address with Amazon. The main problem that Amazon/Alexa should be worried about here is they DID NOT PROGRAM NEEDED ERROR HANDLING/LOGGING FOR THIS PARTICULAR FUNCTION. It's an immediate "discovery failed" with literally no other information as to why. It's such a grossly generic message I'm sure their logs aren't giving them any kind of indication that there is a specific problem. For all we know it's the same message you get when you have no wifi available. Amazon has a lot of Money to put towards programming and qc...they should be the ones trying to figure this out to help companies like Sonos and Phillips trouble shoot these issues.

That said,

Sonos & Hue, I hope you are making some noise over at Amazon to help you out a little here. Also, the person who started this post is spot on with one comment and should be an indicator of something for those trying to repro this. He/She says ("I get a very quick "Discovery Failed"). Same thing for me...it's immediate...not after 30 seconds...not after 5 seconds...not after 2 seconds...it's literally as soon as you hit the button "Discover". I can't even read the modal before it closes and displays this error indicated. And on their fire tablets it shows a slightly longer version of this error. "There was an error discovering your devices". I'm the only Amazon user in the house (Prime - 1 membership) and I've tried this on my iPhone X and 2 brand new Amazon tablets and the same exact thing occurs...instantly. I have Comcast Xfinity 1 router (wifi) and an Orbi wifi network. I've tried on both networks and it does the exact same thing on either. I really wanted a solution to control Sonos since they have not been able to get Homekit working with Apple. Bummer...I thought the new Amazon HD 10 tablet would be a cool alternative but this is not making a good first impression.
Discovery failed for me as well. Immediately. Sonos skill IS enabled in Alexa. Question--do my Amazon, Alexa, and Sonos email and passwords have to be identical? So far not at all impressed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I've just purchased a Sonos One and have an existing Gen 1 Alexa Echo device. All my devices (Hue Lights (Gen 1 Bridge) and Nest (Gen 3)) was fine whilst I had my Alexa Echo Connected.
Once I set up my new Sonos One configured and working, I decided to switch off my Echo, after a couple of hours I noticed that simple commands to Sonos One to "switch off my lights" she couldn't find any of the Hue Lights. I tested if she could find my Nest Thermostat and that was fine. With Echo off, I re-discovered all the devices in the house with Sonos and could only detect the Nest. I had to switch my Echo back on and rediscover all my devices and now I'm running Echo and Sonos One just control my lights.
I wonder if the Sonos One can't detect the ZigBee protocol or I need to upgrade my Hue Bridge to latest Square one?

Try using https://alexa.amazon.co.uk or .com from a PC and select Smart Home>Devices>Discover
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Discovery failed for me as well. Immediately. Sonos skill IS enabled in Alexa. Question--do my Amazon, Alexa, and Sonos email and passwords have to be identical? So far not at all impressed.

No, I have different email addresses for Alexa and Sonos. I've mentioned this before but there are differences between the iOS & Android app vs. the PC app. Discovery appears more dependable on the PC version, in my experience: https://alexa.amazon.co.uk or .com

No, I have different email addresses for Alexa and Sonos. I've mentioned this before but there are differences between the iOS & Android app vs. the PC app. Discovery appears more dependable on the PC version, in my experience: https://alexa.amazon.co.uk or .com
The Sonos One boxes states "Made for IOS". Touts its integration with iPod, iPhone, and iPad. And 'Works with Android". The apps on iPhone, iPad, and Mac are operating as expected. Sonos doesn't work well with Alexa. It has nothing to do with the app with which one tries to beg Alexa to find Sonos. I used the app on my iMac, my latest gen iPad Pro, and after a lot of trial and failure, I'm trying the iPhone app next. You're suggesting it's because I don't use Windows?
I have enabled my Nest Thermostat and Sonos skills in Alexa. I ask Alexa to 'Discover Devices'. She tells me to enable the skills. I've reported this glitch. I'm feeling like a beta tester.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The Sonos One boxes states "Made for IOS". Touts its integration with iPod, iPhone, and iPad. And 'Works with Android". The apps on iPhone, iPad, and Mac are operating as expected. Sonos doesn't work well with Alexa. It has nothing to do with the app with which one tries to beg Alexa to find Sonos. I used the app on my iMac, my latest gen iPad Pro, and after a lot of trial and failure, I'm trying the iPhone app next. You're suggesting it's because I don't use Windows?

If you don't like the advice that others have fixed problems by using a PC (Windows or MAC) app, then don't follow it!
I have given you some of my time because I like Sonos products and am willing to help others - some appreciation would be nice!

The reality is that the iOS and Android apps are newer both for Sonos and Alexa but in some instances like 'Discover', the PC or MAC version works better for some reason. (e.g. In Alexa, there is no 'Forget All' under Smart Home>Devices in Android or IOS any more but it is still there in the browser version.)
Thanks for your time. Can I borrow your PC?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks for your time. Can I borrow your PC?For a price 🙂 Seriously, I would have thought you can access the version I mentioned on Safari from your MAC, just don't use the App.
I'm loading the app on my husband's Samsung tablet, since I've already tried iPad, iPhone, and iMac versions of the Sonos and Alexa apps, carefully following instructions. The Alexa app shows that I have Nest Thermostat and Sonos skills enabled. I ask "Alexa, Discover Devices". Immediate reply "I couldn't find any new smart devices."
I asked 'Alexa, what skills are enabled?' The only skill the Sonos One can find is 'So Near' which is a reminder of where you put something. This isn't a problem with the app--I've checked my app from iMac, Samsung Tablet, iPhone, and iPad (all of which are updated) and all show the Nest and Sonos skills as active. I unplugged the Sonos One. This is a problem with the Sonos One or how it integrates with the Alexa app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I asked 'Alexa, what skills are enabled?' The only skill the Sonos One can find is 'So Near' which is a reminder of where you put something. This isn't a problem with the app--I've checked my app from iMac, Samsung Tablet, iPhone, and iPad (all of which are updated) and all show the Nest and Sonos skills as active. I unplugged the Sonos One. This is a problem with the Sonos One or how it integrates with the Alexa app.

Just a few more things to check... Do you have multiple Amazon accounts? It's advisable to have all Alexa devices and your Sonos account linked to the same Amazon account? Also, make sure that you aren't logged on to any other Amazon account for music in a different app.

If you access your Alex app>Smart Home>Devices does it list your Sonos One?

As a last resort did you follow these steps?

Hi goetzum

A couple of things to check first:

1/ Can you make sure that you are not logged on to any other Amazon account in ANY other app on devices logged in via your email address - this can confuse Alexa with regard to the linking of your Sonos account to your Amazon account;
2/ Make sure that if you have multiple Amazon accounts that you've Enabled the Sonos skill in the Amazon account that you've linked to your Sonos account.

If the problem persists after these steps then please follow the steps I've listed in the Answer in this post which will reset Voice Control and rerun the Set-Up.

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239

Let us know how you get on.
Hi,

I also got this message ('discovery failed' a lot on all of my devices (phone, tablet, pc). It was because I tried to enable Alexa in a country which is not yet supported. I changed the location of my sonos account and now everything works.
Solution for Mac ecosystems, and multiple Amazon accounts: After deleting ALL Sonos and Alexa apps previously installed on my handheld devices to ensure there was no conflict between devices, I used the Sonos app on my Mac (Download this from Sonos direct, it's not on the App Store.) I left Alexa app on my iPad.

1. I had a long forgotten Amazon account that Alexa was defaulting to, even though my Prime membership is on a new account with a different email different from what I first entered in Alexa. (Hubs had set up new account for Christmas shopping some years ago.) If you get the 'no devices found' error, check for old Amazon accounts. Pick the oldest one. I'm betting Amazon wants you to use that one. Amazon, this is critical information to share.

2. In a web browser, I changed my old Amazon account passwords. (If you don't have a useraccount and password book, buy one today. It'll save your bacon on a regular basis. Who can remember dozens of them? Not me.)

3. In Alexa I linked the old Amazon account. Also added Music Prime--it's fab.

4. In Alexa, Enabled Skills for Sonos and Nest thermostat.

5. Immediately my Sonos products and Nest showed on Alexa's Smart Home-->Devices tab. No need to discover devices.

6. Enabled sharing on the Sonos app on my iMac, with the help of Google. I'd write instructions for this, but breakfast's on.

Have been enjoying the superb Sonos sound since I wrangled the Amazon account confusion. We're wanting more Sonos One units for around the house. Will I buy more Alexa enabled stuff? Not just yet. Let's see the reviews on the Schlage and LED bulb reviews first.

For those of you who have helped, thank you.
My solution to failed discovery of my Sonos Play5 speaker was much simpler than many of the possible solutions given previously. When I had initially set up my Alexa app on my iPad and iPhone I had used my email rather than my mobile number. Once I logged out and repeated the initial setup using my mobile number instead of my email, the discovery of my sonos worked just fine. Hope this works for some of you!
Hi everyone with the same frustrating issue as I HAD!!!

Discovery Failed- so I spent just over 7 hours today resetting, deleting apps, enabling, disabling skills and several factory resets of the 'one' trying to get my sons sonos set up. I've got 2 others in the house which were relatively simple to set up but his has been a complete nightmare! The difference is that my sons phone on which we set this account up is an android. He was so irritated with me messing with his phone all day that I decided to give up and look for the answer (for the umpteenth time) on my iPad. I just randomly decided to log onto his sonos account from the iPad and try the set up process. Amazingly once I had signed out of my own amazon account (this is very important) the Alexa app was able to discover his device!!!! No more 'discovery failed' messages- and now it is up and running perfectly. Whilst I can't be certain I'm pretty sure all of my problems were to do with trying to set this up from his android phone rather than an iOS device- so if anyone else is having this problem- give it a try from an iPad or iPhone- it worked for me! I can't believe how frustrating this has been- but we got there in the end. Good luck!!