Skip to main content

August 10, 2024. This issue is now resolved. The SiriusXM Skill will now link with Alexa app. 

Some who use SiriusXM as a streaming service on Sonos may have noticed (or will notice) that Alexa when asked to play a SiriusXM music genre will say the following…

• To listen to SiriusXM go to the Alexa mobile app and link your account

Unfortunately, the Alexa Skill to link SiriusXM to Sonos and use the Alexa Voice assistant is broken within the Alexa Mobile app.. Upon attempting to link the SiriusXM Skill the following message appears...

• Unable to link the skill at this time, try again later (or something to that affect)

Don’t panic! 

You can still add SiriusXM as a streaming service to Sonos and select your music genre and direct it to a Sonos speaker just as you would Apple Music, Spotify or any other streaming service. You just can’t request Alexa to play SiriusXM at this time.

I’ve been in phone conversations with tech support for Alexa and SiriusXM. Neither seem to be aware of the issue although SiriusXM tech support claims they have a system outage of sorts.🤔

The Bottom-line is that you can still manually use SiriusXM within Sonos; but not as a request via the Alexa Voice Assistant

Having said all the above I did perform proof of concept tests with my Sonos and the Alexa app on both iOS and Android devices. The results were the same….

• can’t link the SiriusXM Skill within the Alexa app
  • can’t voice command Alexa to play SiriusXM on Sonos
  • can delete Apple Music from Sonos and Disable the Apple Music skill in the Alexa app *
  • can add Apple Music to Sonos and Enable the Apple Music skill in the Alexa app *
  • can play SiriusXM on Sonos manually 

Devices used:

• iPhone 15 ProMax / iOS 17.6
  • iOS: Sonos 80.05.05
  • Galaxy Tab A9+ / Android 14
  • Android: Sonos 80.05.06

Hopefully, the issue will be resolved soon. I miss not being able to say…Alexa play smooth jazz; and have Alexa respond with…Smooth jazz on SiriusXM Watercolors

Performed as tests to be sure the issue was isolated to the SiriusXM Skill linkage within the Alexa app.Therefore, IMO the issue is not related to Sonos software.

August 10, 2024. This issue is now resolved. The SiriusXM Skill will now link with Alexa app