D/A in Echo DOT versus Play 5 Gen 2.

• 7 October 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge
I have been a Sonos user for only about a month. I had an Echo dot so used the line-in config. with Spotify. When the announcement came out on the 4th, I switched over to the networked Sonos set-up. I wanted to see if there is an audible difference between the D/A convertor in the Echo Dot versus the Play 5's D/A. I then found out that Spotify is not yet supported by Sonos, and the bit rate of Amazon Music is less than Spotify, so I could not compare Apples to Apples, or should I say Dot D/A versus Sonos Play 5 D/A.

I'll have to wait for Spotify to compare.

Does anybody have an opinion as to whether the same bit rate source sounds better through the networked Play 5 Gen 2 versus the line-in from the Echo Dot?

After being an audiophile for many years, I worry about these things, although given that the source is ~300k MP3 files, I probably shouldn't. I also have a small FLAC library of my ripped CD's so that would be the best test I suppose.

I would guess that there is no discernible audio quality difference ON THE PLAY 5 between Spotify MP3's and a FLAC file.

Anybody do A-B tests like that?

I really like the voice control of my premium Spotify account on the Play 5, but still listen to Cd's on my main 2 channel set-up.

Enough rambling.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Why would you have to wait for Alexa Spotify support to compare? Just play Spotify from the Sonos app. You can even use Alexa to perform play, pause, skip, volume control, and ask what is playing for any source initiated from the Sonos app.
Badge
Duh! My bad! I have not actually used the Sonos app (you REALLY get addicted to using voice control) to play music, and guess it never registered that I could do that with Spotify. A project for tomorrow!

Any comments on the 2 D/A's?
I've never hooked up a Dot line out to a Sonos, so no.
Badge
Glad to hear that! Keep it the way it was meant to be.

Right now, I feel "unsettled" since I am using a very nice networked speaker as a simple, non-networked, self powered speaker. I will try it the "right" way when Spotify is available, but just might have to buy another Sonos to justify the room requirement in the vocal commands.

The only advantage I can come up with in a single speaker Sonos set-up is being able to have the Echo non-music interaction without interrupting the music. And the elimination of a cable and the required proximity of the Echo to the Sonos.

Any others I missed?
I've just switched from analog in from a Dot->Connect:Amp->QUAD ESL-63 electrostatics, to the new Alexa skill. Zero difference, as expected. Modern DACs, even the ones in our phones, are far better than our brain's ability to resolve any differences. Expensive DACs are sold more for the ego of the purchaser than for any discernable difference in sound, despite what the hi-fi rags would have you believe.

Just get the best, most accurate damn speakers you can afford, don't worry about DACs.
Badge
chicks - Within the context of Sonos level equipment, I would agree. But, if you buy expensive speakers, and don't consider/optimize EVERYTHING upstream, you are not getting the most bang for your speaker buck.
chicks - Within the context of Sonos level equipment, I would agree. But, if you buy expensive speakers, and don't consider/optimize EVERYTHING upstream, you are not getting the most bang for your speaker buck.

Meh. I'm an engineer, have been for 30 years. I don't believe in audiophile nonsense, because i understand how this stuff works. Most everything you read in today's audiophile rags is pure horse pockey.