Question

Controlling volume with Alexa

• 31 December 2017
  • 11 replies

I have an echo dot and play 1. I can start/stop/pause/skip playback of music but the volume control voice commands do not work anymore. I’ve tried all the combinations and get a response of “That command doesn’t work on device bedroom” or “Sorry bedroom is not responding”. I’ve disabled and re-enabled the skill and checked for updates but it made no difference. Occasionally one of the volume commands will work but it’s at random. Anyone having the same problem?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So a couple of things to check:

1/ Can you select Alexa App>Smart Home>Devices and make sure that you don't have duplicate names across devices and groups?
2/ Please power down the Echo Dot and then the Play:1 and select Alexa App>Smart Home>Devices>Discover

Retest and let us know.
Hi

1. No duplicate names
2. Did this, no new devices found

Retested and problem remains. I have a 2nd Dot downstairs and a 2nd Play 1 called Lounge. These have the exact same problem
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Okay, thanks for that. Can you try the applicable steps I've listed in the Answer to this post (This is for a Sonos One but the remaining steps should still be applicable.) WARNING: If you have created any Alexa Routines, these steps will remove ALL actions from ALL Routines!

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239
Hi, I completed the steps and retested - the problem has not been fixed
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Okay, can you submit a diagnostic and post the number in this thread?
Hi, diagnostics submitted 8328483
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks, someone from Sonos will investigate.
I'm having the same issue. Will track this for a response. Let me know if you need another diagnostic.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Flocksuff & esonos: Thanks for the diagnostic reports. In most cases where there are problems sending commands to a room, it typically has something to do with the Alexa app and devices in the Smart Home tab. If you are still having problems with this, I'd invite you to give our support technicians a call to troubleshoot this in real time. They can set up a remote session and can walk through alexa.amazon.com with you to ensure that everything is set. Our contact information can be found here.
My system only responds to volume commands once in a while. Most of the time Alexa reports that the device is not capable of performing that command, but every once in a while it works. I've tried "turn it up/down" and also "set the volume to #" and every so often it works. Otherwise I need to go back to my Sonos App or manually change the volume on the speaker. It's definitely an issue with the technology and makes the voice control much less useful.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
My system only responds to volume commands once in a while. Most of the time Alexa reports that the device is not capable of performing that command, but every once in a while it works. I've tried "turn it up/down" and also "set the volume to #" and every so often it works. Otherwise I need to go back to my Sonos App or manually change the volume on the speaker. It's definitely an issue with the technology and makes the voice control much less useful.

Hi Ken

The next time this happens, can you please check the Alexa App>Settings>History and confirm what Alexa heard and also select the command and then play back to check the level of back noise.

I've found a few things can improve this, please try these one at a time:

1/ Turn the Mic on and off on the top of the Sonos unit:
2/ Power down your Sonos One and any wired Sonos devices.