Answered

Controlling Sonos Connect with Alexa?

• 22 December 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge +2
I just recently bought Sonos for my home audio set up. I am absolutely thrilled with it so far. I am using the Connect to control my original sound system, which is in NAD amp and preamp running to ELAC speakers and sub. I also have two Sonos One speakers set up as a stereo pair in a different room. Alexa is controlling those speakers fine. But what I want to do is be able to control the Connect device using Alexa. I have read many threads, and so far, I am not getting a straight answer. I also own two Echo Dots. Do I need to use one of those, to make the Connect unit hear my Alexa commands? The Connect does not seem to hear my commands, even though I have a grouped it with my other two Sonos speakers. Those two speakers are in a totally different room, and probably can’t hear me when I give the commands.
What is the correct methodology here. There has to be a way to do this.
icon

Best answer by Chris 22 December 2018, 14:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes you speak to the Echo Dot to give the speaker commands.

You first in the Alexa app have to go in and add the Sonos skill.

Once the Sonos skill is done and you discover devices. Then go to groups. Create a room group with the Echo Dot as the Echo device. Add the Sonos as a device in the group. Then add the Sonos unit as the default speaker.

Now asking the Dot to play music will send that music request to the Sonos unit. Also commands like Turn it up / and turn it down will send direct to the selected unit. There are a lot of other commands as well.

Now even though in this case you have a specific sonos unit set as default you can also control other zones with the same dot. All you have to do is after the command say "in *zonename". So if you have a Sonos unit called Dining Room you can say "Sonos play Bruno Mars in Dining Room" for it to control that specific room.

You are talking to the Alexa device - where the other speakers are (and fact they can't hear you - well of course they can't they don't even have microphones to listen) doesn't matter.
Badge +2
Great thanks. I will try this and circle back.
Badge +2
Chris,
I want to give you a double thanks for your reply on this. Since my original post, I have replaced the Sonos Connect with the new Sonos Amp. Per one of my more recent posts, I could not figure out how to get the new amp to behave correctly within my Sonos system. Having now just reread your post here, I was able to set it up successfully. I really want to thank you for sharing this information, as you have made my day, and allowed me to regain full control of my little Sonos world here. LOL
Thanks!