Answered

Control Sonos One with another Alexa device

• 1 February 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge
Apologies if this has been asked and answered before. I have seen so many variations of answers and questions of this sort, I thought I would come to the source. We have Alexa in every room, as first time Sonos One users, I would like to know if we place the two new Sonos Ones in our living room,(Stereo Paired) can we control them with the Alexa in our Kitchen, and if playing music, will both Sonos and Alexa play music at the same time? (Amazon Music Unlimited) TIA!
icon

Best answer by Chris 1 February 2018, 20:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
First thing - if you have a Sonos One in your Living room. If you say "Alexa play Bruno Mars" it will start playing on the Sonos One pair in the Living Room.

If your speaking to the Alexa in your kitchen you would be required to say "Alexa play Bruno Mars in Living Room" for it to play to the Sonos:Ones in Living room.

You can not group an Alexa device and Sonos device as a synced group playing the same music. You have to have Sonos devices in every room to sync them playing same thing or you have to have Echo Alexa devices only to group them together.

At this time the Sonos:One will not group as if it were an stand alone Echo device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Also of note since you have multiple Alexa's around house. The Sonos:One also will not work with the drop in / call features.

Where I use my Echo devices as intercom around house (Dots in each kids room etc). The Sonos:One does not have that capability as a normal Echo does. I have primarily dots all around house and regular Sonos speakers in those same rooms (play:5s, Play:3s, Play:1s etc). I do have a Sonos:One but it is in my bathroom where I don't need the intercom feature. And is very handy there might I add - I consider the bathroom and kitchen the primary areas that voice control is most useful.