Answered

Confused about multiple accounts

Badge
I want to get a Sonos One but I'm confused how it works with multiple people.

From what I gather it's possible to log in with our different Spotify accounts so that's OK. But what about the Alexa part and voice control?

First of all is it possible for multiple people to use the voice commands? And if so, my issue is, Amazon household seems to only allow 2 adults which is ridiculous because my oldest son who still lives at home is 18 and so he's an adult.

So as it stands now, I can add my husband and my two younger kids but my oldest is just stuck in no man's land?

Can someone explain like they're talking to a 5 year old how this all works? It seems pointless to get one if I'm the only one who can use it. Thanks.
icon

Best answer by danjrichards 5 July 2019, 14:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

I am not aware of any such restrictions. Friends, family all have a go. If the cat could talk I think Alexa would respond.

It has nothing to do with accounts.
Badge
Really? So anyone can ask it anything and it works? How about if we have it set up for Google accounts instead of Alexa? It must go by accounts. For example if I wanted it to add something to my calendar. It would have to know who is asking. Also I wouldn't want everyone having access to my whole Google account.
Badge
Obviously I have zero experience with this type of thing 🤔
Well I was viewing it from a Sonos perspective, but I also use it for lights, and general questions. I don't use it at all for calendsrs etc, and will have to leave it to others to help you there.

But certainly anyone can give instructions to Sonos. I think thete may be voice profile recognition for you to apply your own restrictions? Again, I defer to others.
Badge
To be honest, I most likely wouldn't use it for that either 🤣 I think I want it mostly for playing music, setting times and asking it random useless questions.
In that case you can all join in the fun.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
To be honest, I most likely wouldn't use it for that either 🤣 I think I want it mostly for playing music, setting times and asking it random useless questions.
That will work just fine for any user. It will also happily trigger every time the wake word is mentioned on TV, radio, ... I think the media outlets are now competing to see how often they can say 'Alexa'.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Anyone can ask questions, but when it comes to Spotify, it gets a bit more complicated if you want to use Alexa to play from different Spotify accounts (assuming you want to keep your playlists etc separate). You need an Alexa account for each Spotify account, and switch Alexa account in order to use the associated Spotify account. It's fairly straightforward to switch, but you are limited by the number of Alexa household accounts allowed (in the UK it's two adults and no children). And if the Spotify account is being used on Sonos, it cannot be used elsewhere. We got round this by subscribing to Spotify Family, and setting-up a Spotify account just for the Sonos One.
The confusion comes from the similarity with Amazon Households, which allows two adult accounts and 4 children to use things like Amazon Prime. This has nothing to do with Alexa. Alexa can have individual accounts, assigned to a voice profile that you set up. There can be an unlimited number of Alexa accounts added, including adult children with their own Amazon account.

To use them, you set up the account, assign your e-mail, Amazon account, calendar, etc. Then you set up a voice profile so Alexa recognizes your voice. Then, anytime you want to set something for your individual account (say, make an appointment on your calendar) you say "Alexa, switch to my account" and then "Alexa, make an appointment". There may even be functionality that hears your voice and automatically uses your account. It was announced as coming, but not sure it it works yet.

Here's a great summary:

https://www.the-ambient.com/how-to/multiple-alexa-accounts-voice-profiles-513

Also, as stated above, it gets tricky with music services and Sonos.
Badge
🤔🤔🤔🤔 Do I really want this? You think they'd make it more user friendly for households. So I've been asking about Alexa but is it the same for Google?
It is far easier to do it than explain it, trust me. Get the family together, add the info, and train the voice profiles. It can actually be fun, especially when she asks you to recite the phrases.

As to Google vs Alexa, the Google/Sonos implementation is far behind Alexa/Sonos. Give it a year and it may catch up, but Grouping and Ducking for Alexa/Sonos is a much better experience.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great answers everyone! @munchner, if you think one of these replies has a best or close enough answer to your original question, please feel free to mark it.
Badge
The confusion comes from the similarity with Amazon Households, which allows two adult accounts and 4 children to use things like Amazon Prime. This has nothing to do with Alexa. Alexa can have individual accounts, assigned to a voice profile that you set up. There can be an unlimited number of Alexa accounts added, including adult children with their own Amazon account.

To use them, you set up the account, assign your e-mail, Amazon account, calendar, etc. Then you set up a voice profile so Alexa recognizes your voice. Then, anytime you want to set something for your individual account (say, make an appointment on your calendar) you say "Alexa, switch to my account" and then "Alexa, make an appointment". There may even be functionality that hears your voice and automatically uses your account. It was announced as coming, but not sure it it works yet.

Here's a great summary:

Thanks for this. I was definitely getting it confused with Amazon Prime. It makes sense now 😁
Badge

Here's a great summary:

Thanks for everything. I got the echo dot for my daughter today and got it all set up with my account. I set up a voice profile for her and it works well for everyone who talks to it. I've also set up her Spotify account.
My last issue is the communication aspect. I don't have my own yet but I will get one. When I get mine I want to be able to message with it and add my contacts. It seems like if I do that, she will also have access to my contacts which i definitely don't want. I know i can keep her communication disabled but I'd like to be able to use the drop in feature.
Is there any way of getting around this? If I set hers up with her own account o won't be able to drop in on hers from mine right?
Am I missing something or is this a major design flaw?
Badge
Oops...forgot this was the Sonos board 😬