Answered

cant unmute my Sonos one mic

• 4 August 2019
  • 6 replies

I have a fairly large open kitchen/living room area and have 2 Sonos Ones set up on opposite sides of the room, paired. It does not seem to allow me to have both of the microphones enabled, so I end up shouting at Alexa from across the room if I happen to be sitting near the one on perma -mute. Is this a deliberate design or is there something wrong with my speaker? If I tap the mute button on it nothing happens
icon

Best answer by Fredfreddy0 7 August 2019, 00:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
If the speakers are so far appart is there a benefit to them being configured as a stero pair? Suggest you try unpairing and then grouping the two speakers together instead. When grouped, both speakers will have their microphones enabled. You can group them in the Sonos app, or create a group in the Alexa app. If nothing else, unpairing will tell you whether both speakers are working properly or not.
Strange that both mics are not working in this situation, as Alexa should install on both in a stereo pair setup. My thoughts are they are 'grouped', rather than 'paired' and the voice service is therefore only working on the one speaker. I would check the ‘Room Settings’ in the Sonos App.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
This thread maybe helpful. https://en.community.sonos.com/google-assistant-and-sonos-229109/only-one-mic-works-on-a-stereo-pair-of-ones-with-google-assistant-6825508
This thread maybe helpful. https://en.community.sonos.com/google-assistant-and-sonos-229109/only-one-mic-works-on-a-stereo-pair-of-ones-with-google-assistant-6825508
Please note that thread relates to the Google Assistant on Sonos, which installs to only the left speaker (with certain exceptions) in a stereo pair, but Alexa normally installs on both devices in the same type of setup.
There’s really no reason for me to have them paired, it sounds like grouping is the right solution for my room, I don’t think I realized I could do that. I am going to try grouping them instead, and we’ll see what happens
Just to close the loop on this, I unpaired the two speakers and grouped them instead, and the microphone and Alexa work on both as expected. I guess you can’t have the mic on, on both speakers if they are paired. Thanks for all of the replies