Question

Can you link an Echo Dot to a specific Sonos speaker?

• 29 October 2017
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I hooked up a dot in my kitchen?”, which has a Play:5. I want to be able to just say “Play music” and not “Play music in Kitchen”. I’d also prefer if Alexa spoke through the Sonos speaker all the time, versus answering questions through the Dot.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Amazon have literally just released an update to the Alexa app which allows you to add an Echo device to a smart home group, and I think the idea is that you should be able to do what you suggest... but it doesn't seem to work.. I've tried and Alexa just asks which device. So perhaps there's some bugs to be found and fixed.
Badge
I was looking for the exact same function. Hope they implement this soon, but I am skeptical. Both Sonos and Amazon seem to be really slow at adapting new functionality.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It does work that way with the Sonos One. Sonos has said they are working with Apple to hopefully implement this. This is also key to not having all speakers duck volume when issuing command.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Has this issue been addressed?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
No, not yet, and no timescales either.