Can't get Alexa to play spotify on my Sonos One

• 23 July 2018
  • 4 replies

I have only had my Sonos One a few days and so still trying to work it out. I have set it up, set up an Alexa account and linked to my spotify account. Spotify is my default music app, its all linked up etc. When I go into the Sonos app and play music on spotify it plays through the Sonos, no problem. However when I ask Alexa to "play XYZ playlist on Spotify" it does nothing!! Alexa repeats the command (so my assumption is that she has understood) but does not play it. Similar story if I request a radio station on TuneIn or when I give a command to control my Hive heating system. She repeats the command but nothing happens.

I have read varies threads on here with similar issues and tried various fixes but nothing seems to work.

The Alexa is working for other things like creating lists, asking random questions etc It just doesn't seem to connect to these other apps properly

Has anybody got any advise here?!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Hi there, Flatman79. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. It sounds like there may be a problem with the naming of the Smart Devices you have set up to your Alexa account. Usually, we see topics like this when users have multiple smart home devices named "Kitchen" (for example) in the Alexa app. Is this the case when you check the Alexa app or go to alexa.amazon.com?

If this is not the case, it may be a good idea to give our support technicians a call to take a closer look at the link between Sonos and Alexa in real time.
Flatman79,

The one thing I would recommend, is to study the things you can say to Alexa to get her to play your tracks, albums, artists playlists etc. The voice commands mentioned at the link below are a good starting point. Perhaps see if those help you... study them carefully.

Controlling your Sonos with Amazon Alexa
Badge
See my post - I have had the same problem and found the solution kind of - see my post
(https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/alexa-failed-to-play-with-amazon-music-resolved-6810456)

😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have only had my Sonos One a few days and so still trying to work it out. I have set it up, set up an Alexa account and linked to my spotify account. Spotify is my default music app, its all linked up etc. When I go into the Sonos app and play music on spotify it plays through the Sonos, no problem. However when I ask Alexa to "play XYZ playlist on Spotify" it does nothing!! Alexa repeats the command (so my assumption is that she has understood) but does not play it. Similar story if I request a radio station on TuneIn or when I give a command to control my Hive heating system. She repeats the command but nothing happens.

I have read varies threads on here with similar issues and tried various fixes but nothing seems to work.

The Alexa is working for other things like creating lists, asking random questions etc It just doesn't seem to connect to these other apps properly

Has anybody got any advise here?!

Hi

As Ken has mentioned, I suspect this is because the command you are using is incorrect. The command structure needs to be: 'Alexa, Play {Playlist Name} Playlist on {Sonos Room Name} from {Music Streaming Service}' The phrases in italics are optional when you are using a Sonos One and a Default Music Service has been specified.

So, your command "play XYZ playlist on Spotify" is looking to play XYZ Playlist on a device called Spotify. Can you please test with: 'Alexa, Play Piano Chill Playlist' on your Sonos One and let us know if that works.