Answered

Can't control Spotify using Alexa on Fire tablet while connected to Sonos Move via Bluetooth

• 21 December 2021
  • 8 replies

I am using the Sonos controller app on a Fire Tablet HD 10. The tablet is paired to a Sonos Move via bluetooth. The idea was to have all sound from the Fire Tablet output to the Sonos Move and have a beefed up echo show that doubles as a Sonos controller. This works for the most part. If I say, “Alexa, play christmas music,” the fire tablet plays a christmas playlist in spotify and the sound comes out the Sonos Move as expected. 

The issue comes with trying to use Alexa to then control music playback with Spotify. If I say, “Alexa, pause spotify,” I can see the spotify app pause, and then automatically play again. As if it hears and performs the command and then something reverses it. I’ve tried saying pause, pause spotify, stop spotify, stop the music, etc. and nothing gets it to pause. I can control volume however.

Does anybody have an idea of what the cause may be?

FYI, Spotify seems to be the only app that will not pause. I’ve had success pausing/playing iHeartRadio and even Youtube TV.

icon

Best answer by jgatie 21 December 2021, 16:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Nothing to do with Sonos.  Sonos Move in Bluetooth mode is just a dumb speaker.  Your problem is with Spotify/Alexa on a Fire tablet.

Does it perhaps work for you if you include the Move ‘room’ name in your voice instruction? eg: ‘Alexa pause the music on Portable’ (where Portable is the name of your Move speaker). It might be worth a try so that Alexa knows precisely what you’re referring to.

If the Move is currently running in bluetooth mode, you cannot control it with the Sonos controller app.  That will only work while the Move is using WiFi.  Any voice commands your giving to your table are just to control the music service app(s) on your tablet.  Really, the Move isn’t a smart speaker while in bluetooth mode.  So, really your question is better answered in an Amazon/Fire tablet/Alexa or Spotify forum than Sonos.

Is there a reason you’re using the Move as a bluetooth speaker rather than a Sonos WiFi speaker?  If you leave the Move in it’s normal WiFi mode, you can connect Alexa voice to the Move and it control it directly with the Move’s own microphones.  Even if you prefer to use the voice control via the tablet, you should be able to create an Alexa group with the tablet and Move so that commands to play music are directed to the Move.

Yes, I was (stupidly) forgetting that the ‘Move’ is not like the ‘Sonos Roam’ which can connect to both the local WiFi and Bluetooth at the same time and can still be controlled via Alexa - so ignore my last post, it won’t work when the Move is just linked to Bluetooth .. my mistake.🤷‍♂️

If the Move is currently running in bluetooth mode, you cannot control it with the Sonos controller app.  That will only work while the Move is using WiFi.  Any voice commands your giving to your table are just to control the music service app(s) on your tablet.  Really, the Move isn’t a smart speaker while in bluetooth mode.  So, really your question is better answered in an Amazon/Fire tablet/Alexa or Spotify forum than Sonos.

Is there a reason you’re using the Move as a bluetooth speaker rather than a Sonos WiFi speaker?  If you leave the Move in it’s normal WiFi mode, you can connect Alexa voice to the Move and it control it directly with the Move’s own microphones.  Even if you prefer to use the voice control via the tablet, you should be able to create an Alexa group with the tablet and Move so that commands to play music are directed to the Move.

I’m essentially using the voice commands to the tablet to control Spotify on the tablet, and have sound coming out of the Move. Not going through the Sonos controller app in this situation. It just won’t pause via Alexa commands for some reason. If the tablet and and Move aren't connected via bluetooth then the commands work fine.

I’m using it as a bluetooth speaker so that all Alexa commands are given to the tablet, and all sound comes out of the Move (since the speakers on the tablet suck). This lets the tablet act like an echo show (in Show Mode) and opens apps on the tablet, such as spotify, youtube tv, and other streaming services. Can also view timers and other Alexa related features like on an Echo show. I cannot do that if I’m using the Move’s microphone with Alexa on wifi as far as I know. I also do not seem to be able to add the fire tablet to a group for some reason. It shows up under Echo and Alexa devices but not when I try to create a group.

I think I’m going to try an Aux out to another speaker with the tablet and see if that gives similar issues.

Try disabling the touch controls on the Move, via the Sonos app’s room settings.

@bryant116 .  That’s a useful post, and you beat me to it.  I haven’t been using this set up, but when I read the query I wondered if this might work and have been experimenting with it.  Not quite the same situation.  I am using an Android phone connected to my WiFi, and it has Alexa and Amazon Music apps installed.  

Amazon Music is my default service on Alexa.

Phone connected by Bluetooth to Move.

Alexa app open, but it doesn’t seem to require the Amazon Music app to be open.

In the Alexa app I just tap the button for ‘Tap to talk to “Alexa”’ and give an instruction, such as ‘Play songs by Kings of Leon’ and it plays on the Move.  (No wake word needed.)

‘Pause’ and ‘Resume’ commands work fine for me.

As has been stated, this method would work for any dumb BT speaker.  We just happen to be using a dumb BT speaker with a Sonos logo on it.

This would, I presume, work in the absence of a WiFi network, by connecting the phone to the internet using mobile data.

I have realized that this is entirely a Fire OS issue. I cannot use Alexa to pause Spotify on the tablet even when nothing is connected. I had not realized this because I had previously always had Spotify playing through a Sonos One using the tablet for Alexa commands. I figured that if I had a bluetooth Sonos speaker then I could essentially have an Echo show with a Sonos output. However, the tablet can only use Alexa commands to pause Spotify when playing through other devices. Not on the actual tablet.

As John B stated, Amazon Music works fine using Alexa in this way. Strictly with a fire tablet and Spotify.

Very strange. I really appreciate all the help though.