Can't Change Wake Word with Beam/Sonos 1

• 26 February 2019
  • 3 replies

After setting up my new Beam, I was distressed to discover that I can't change the Alexa Wake Word. My boyfriend's ex-wife is named Alexa, so no "Alexa" in our home! I was planning on changing it to "Computer." Since I can't, I've disabled Alexa. I was looking forward to the voice control because my eyesight isn't great and using voice control is easier. I've had to disable Alexa. Sonos, this is a big issue for people - please fix. Also, since changing the Wake Word is standard on other Alexa-enabled products, this dysfunction should be stated in the product description.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13
That an Alexa limitation, not Sonos. You should contact Amazon and let them know your boyfriends frustration.

Otherwise Google Assistant should be on the horizon. Don't know anyone who has an ex named Google.
You could add an echo dot to the same room and control your Beam using your voice and the wake word of 'echo' or 'computer'. That’s what others have done in the past. It’s not ideal, but many here believe it is an Amazon limitation, rather than a Sonos one.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
This need to be addressed. please bring in different wake words. i can see amazon own devices are able to do this.

unless they are putting all efforts in to Google Assistant then bring on Google Assistant