Answered

Can Sonos Beam change the TV's HDMI input via Alexa?

• 27 March 2019
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Trying countless permutations of commands, it seams that my default HDMI input in the TV has changed. Its not ideal, but for now I switched the HDMI cables and now when I ask alexa to turn on the TV, its on the correct HDMI input setting. The tv is a vizio. Does anyone know how to switch HDMI inputs within the tv via Alexa?
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 27 March 2019, 13:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

The below link is the list of Alexa commands you can use with Sonos related to music and TV functions.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3514?language=en_US

I could have sworn that you can give a command like 'Alexa, switch to HDMI 3' was possible, but I don't see it listed here. I recalling trying it myself when I originally got a Beam, but it did not work because my Samsung TV did not support the command. CEC commands are a little hit and miss because your TV and connected devices (Beam) are not required to support specific commands, or support them in every condition.

I can't say whether Vizio TVs support HDMI switching via CEC commands, but I would not be too surprised if they didn't. It doesn't seem to be a popular command to support. However, devices that use IR commands (like a TV remote) to switch HDMI will work quite well in almost situations. Logitech Harmony and Amazon's FireTV cube are good examples of this.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
So it is still an unanswered question
So it is still an unanswered question
Have you figured it out yet? I have the exact same problem. If I use Alexa to turn on my Vizio it defaults to the HDMI ARC and not the HDMI input for my Apple TV. If I turn my TV off and on manually it sticks.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Some how over time, the correct HDMI input has become the "default".... it changed on its own. Perhaps turning the TV on /off via Alexa with the correct input selected... who knows?
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Can Sonos Beam change the TV's HDMI input via Alexa? This still remains an unanswered question. I am not sure who designated this as answered
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
The serendipitous change of HDMI inputs in my system has spontaneously reverted. Instead of HMDI 3 its now on HDMI 2. I thought it may have to do with whether or not the TV is turned off or on via Alexa in the correct HDMI. Not the case. Perhaps if I turn the TV off and on via the remote or source, while the HDMI input is in its correct place... Ill keep people posted.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
@Evil Karma, Still not answered. Turning the TV on/off via remote or via Alexa makes no difference. It spontaneously "stuck" on HDMI 2 and there it remained.