Question

Can an Echo and my Sonos Beam exist in the same room and operate independently?

• 30 August 2018
  • 7 replies

We purchases an Echo about a year ago and it now sits about 10 feet from my new Sonos Beam. When I setup the Beam I didn't setup it up to use voice commands over the fear of having both devices responding to the same commands and it works fine but now I'm wondering if there's a way to have both devices work independently in the same room? I would like the Sonos to control my TV and my Echo to do everything else. Can this be done?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
IT is going to be random as to which responds to request. Whichever hears you better.
You can change the wake word on the Echo...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Your right I forgot about that
So you can change the wake word on the Echo but not on the Beam?
That's the current functionality, yes.
Badge +1
I have the Beam and an Echo dot in the same room because the Dot has functionality that the Beam doesn’t yet have. I just muted the mic in the beam and it’s worked a treat for me
I have the Beam and an Echo dot in the same room because the Dot has functionality that the Beam doesn’t yet have. I just muted the mic in the beam and it’s worked a treat for me

Thanks for the reply and everyone else that replied. I guess I'm in the same situation as I really don't want to change the wake word on my Echo and unfortunately you cannot change the wake word on the Sonos Beam. Perhaps at some point Sonos will modify their software so that you could have "SONOS" as a wake word. Until then I'm just going to disable the Alexa functionality of the Beam.