Answered

Can Alexa be used to set the song(s) to be played next on Sonos i.e builld a queue?

• 23 November 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge
Apologies if I've missed something and it can be done, but I've not seen it in any instructions. i.e. can you pre-setup one or more songs while a song is already playing?
Would be really useful, otherwise if you're browsing random songs (not a playlist), then it means you have to be around and ready when a song finishes to set up the next one - and there will always be a gap between songs.

Thanks
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 15 December 2017, 19:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Stogie, when using Alexa to play to Sonos, the Sonos queue isn't in use, instead it's using whatever queue is available for the service you're using through Alexa. You can see that queue by going into the Alexa app > Music and hit the queue button on the playing screen for the room.

You should be able to add songs to that queue using voice, but it won't show on Sonos specifically in the queue. Try, "Alexa, play (song) next in (room name)." or "Alexa, add (song) to the queue in (room name)."
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Hi Stogie, when using Alexa to play to Sonos, the Sonos queue isn't in use, instead it's using whatever queue is available for the service you're using through Alexa. You can see that queue by going into the Alexa app > Music and hit the queue button on the playing screen for the room.

You should be able to add songs to that queue using voice, but it won't show on Sonos specifically in the queue. Try, "Alexa, play (song) next in (room name)." or "Alexa, add (song) to the queue in (room name)."

Ryan, I can't get either of those statements to work whether trying to add to the queue on a Sonos speaker or an Echo/Dot. Are you sure these are valid Alexa commands?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ryan, I can't get either of those statements to work whether trying to add to the queue on a Sonos speaker or an Echo/Dot. Are you sure these are valid Alexa commands?

Looks like you're correct. Those were a guess as to commands that I thought might be available. On further investigation, there aren't any Alexa Queue commands at all from what I've found. The Alexa Queue is mostly showing you what's up next in the album or playlist you started.
Badge +1
You will have to create a Playlist in your music service (such as Spotify), then ask Alexa to start playing that Playlist.