Question

Can a Play One be paired with ?a One

• 14 October 2017
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
I currently have a Playbar, sub and 2 play 1's setup as living room, and a single Play 1 in the kitchen.
I want to add voice control, obviously an option is to add an Echo Dot , but I was wandering if I bought one of the new 'Ones' .. if I could replace one of my current Play 1's in the Living room , and then move the reduntant play one to pair with the other in the kitchen . .So I'm guessing what the essential question is .... Do the new Ones sound the same as the Play 1's or will I notice the difference in the sound ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I am afraid that you cannot pair a Play1 and a One either as stereo or surrounds.
Currently, it seems a Sonos One can only pair with another Sonos One, which is a bit odd because who would need two Alexa controllers in such proximity. But hopefully this will be resolved with a software/firmware update.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Seems like a poor decision by Sonos as I was planning on getting a “one” to replace just 1 of my Rear Surround Play1’s in the Living Room. Finding out I need to buy 2 of them has made me stick with an Echo Dot in the room.
Userlevel 2
thanks for the replies , looks like I'll be getting a Dot . poor decision by Sonos?
One doesn't really know. There could be reasons as to why the two can't be paired. And most companies tend not to share "reasons" with customers.
Seems like a poor decision by Sonos as I was planning on getting a “one” to replace just 1 of my Rear Surround Play1’s in the Living Room. Finding out I need to buy 2 of them has made me stick with an Echo Dot in the room.
But hasn't this probably left your bank balance in a better shape? Yes, there may be aesthetic issue with the small wired puck being visible, but even this is offset by having two surround speakers that look identical.