BUG - Sonos move Alexa Announcements

• 14 August 2022
  • 6 replies

Hi, 

I have found an annoying bug with the move. 

When the move is taken off stand and goes to sleep after a certain amount of time, when placed back on the stand, the announcement “Alexa make an announcement…” functionality needs two takes to actually broadcast your announcement. The only fix I’ve found is to remove Alexa and re-install Alexa in the Sonos app for the Move. This fixes the issue until the move goes to sleep off stand again. 

Can Anyone else reproduce this ?

Thanks 

Tom

6 replies

Tom,

I will ‘happily’ give this a go here and let you know what I see/hear - Do you have the Moves ‘battery saver’ feature enabled or not, so I can just set things up the same before starting the test.

Hi Ken,

thank you, Battery saver feature not on. 

I will take the move off stand, usually to play white noise for the baby so ‘I’ll ask Alexa, to play white noise” while off stand when she’s napping in the day, then the white noise finishes after 40mins or when ever that is, & then after a certain amount of time The Move will sleep. It seems to be after this combination the bug arises. I wonder whether it’s linked to asking Alexa to play something. Then sleeps. I wake it back up usually just placing it back on stand. Then if I Ask Alexa to Anounce something, she will listen the first time but won’t broadcast until I ask her again !

Pathetic I know, but you just expect something so simple to just work nowadays ! 

Hi Ken,

thank you, Battery saver feature not on. 

I will take the move off stand, usually to play white noise for the baby so ‘I’ll ask Alexa, to play white noise” while off stand when she’s napping in the day, then the white noise finishes after 40mins or when ever that is, & then after a certain amount of time The Move will sleep. It seems to be after this combination the bug arises. I wonder whether it’s linked to asking Alexa to play something. Then sleeps. I wake it back up usually just placing it back on stand. Then if I Ask Alexa to Anounce something, she will listen the first time but won’t broadcast until I ask her again !

Pathetic I know, but you just expect something so simple to just work nowadays ! 

No worries, I’ll let you know if I see the same thing.👍

@TommyTeapot,
Off it’s charger, I switched the battery saver feature off and via Alexa, played some white noise to the Move (called ‘Portable’) for a short time (I manually stopped that via the App, just to save time). I let the Move fall asleep for an hour or so and then returned the device to its charger - waking up the device.  I gave it 30 seconds to re-connect to the network.

I then did the following announcement…

"Alexa, announce dinner is on the table"

… it worked first time in my own case here.  I’ve attached a screenshot from the Alexa history just for good measure.

Thanks Ken. 

I’ll keep an eye on it 👍. And see what else I can fathom 

Cheers

Thanks Ken. 

I’ll keep an eye on it 👍. And see what else I can fathom 

Cheers

If the Move is using your routers 5Ghz band, maybe try It on the 2.4Ghz band instead, as that has better penetration through walls etc; that’s if you have the router WiFi bands SSID named differently?

I would also perhaps ensure the 2.4Ghz band is using a non-overlapping ‘fixed’ WiFi channel either 1, 6 or 11 ..and if the router allows, use a channel-width of 20Mhz only to reduce the potential for any interference and see if that fixes the issue by (hopefully) improving its connection & signal strength.

HTH