Bluetooth to Alexa Echo dot and then Alexa to Sonos

• 24 January 2019
  • 6 replies

Hi, I'm new to Sonos and to this community. I searched to see if this has been asked but didn't find anything. So since Sonos has no bluetooth abilities but my Echo dot does and I can stream music to Echo dot over bluetooth, is there a way to stream this to the Sonos speakers since there is som support for Sonos speakers in the Echo dot as far as I can see?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

The apps of most major music providers can cast to Sonos. AirPlay, Alexa Cast, Spotify Connect, Sonos Direct Control, etc. Not much need for Bluetooth.
Hi, I'm new to Sonos and to this community. I searched to see if this has been asked but didn't find anything. So since Sonos has no bluetooth abilities but my Echo dot does and I can stream music to Echo dot over bluetooth, is there a way to stream this to the Sonos speakers since there is som support for Sonos speakers in the Echo dot as far as I can see?

No, this is not possible. The echo dot cannot stream audio directly to a Sonos speaker. When you give commands to an echo dot, the command is going through the cloud to your Sonos system which will then play the audio on it's on.

You can attach a bluetooth receiver to a Sonos device with line in capabilities.
The apps of most major music providers can cast to Sonos. AirPlay, Alexa Cast, Spotify Connect, Sonos Direct Control, etc. Not much need for Bluetooth. Thank you but I'm with Android phone so Airplay is not an option. I've read that Sonos app can stream only certain services and not the phone sounds as if I want to hear my game sounds better or something like that. Can this be done through some of these apps?

No, this is not possible. The echo dot cannot stream audio directly to a Sonos speaker. When you give commands to an echo dot, the command is going through the cloud to your Sonos system which will then play the audio on it's on.

You can attach a bluetooth receiver to a Sonos device with line in capabilities.

So to hear my phone's sounds I'll need to spend 350 euro Sonos Connect and some more for a bluetooth reciever? Not so great but thank you for your answer.

So to hear my phone's sounds I'll need to spend 350 euro Sonos Connect and some more for a bluetooth reciever? Not so great but thank you for your answer.

Agreed, there are much better options for bluetooth speakers than Sonos.

I've read that Sonos app can stream only certain services and not the phone sounds as if I want to hear my game sounds better or something like that. Can this be done through some of these apps?

I'm not aware of any android games that can cast to Sonos, just music services...probably because it's not a highly request feature.

Agreed, there are much better options for bluetooth speakers than Sonos.

I've read that Sonos app can stream only certain services and not the phone sounds as if I want to hear my game sounds better or something like that. Can this be done through some of these apps?

I'm not aware of any android games that can cast to Sonos, just music services...probably because it's not a highly request feature.

Since Sonos is NOT a bluetooth speaker ... I guess any other is better. However having the soundbar and multiroom and alexa all together in one device plus the sound quality makes me want Sonos but I still have to find a way to use it the way I want or buy a much cheaper soundbar system with bluetooth support and skip the alexa features.