Answered

Best way to get notified when Sonos One and Alexa will work in my country?

• 5 October 2017
  • 8 replies

Badge +3
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 13 replies
Here:

"Sonos unveils smart speaker with support for multiple voice services"
http://press-us.sonos.com/159680-sonos-unveils-smart-speaker-with-support-for-multiple-voice-services

It says US, UK & Germany will get Alexa working on Sonos One first to ask what the weather will be tomorrow.

I live in Sweden though, so if I buy a Sonos One today I can only use it as a Play:1.

Whats the best way to get notified when other countries (such as Sweden) will get a working Alexa on a Sonos One?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 5 October 2017, 19:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

It all depends on Amazon rolling out Alexa support in your country, unless Google Assistant support is implemented, then it depends on Google. Sonos really has nothing to do with it, they are merely using the Alexa/Googe/Siri/Insert Voice Assistant Here/etc. to translate commands. So the short answer is, when Amazon rolls out Alexa in your neck of the woods, so too will Sonos be able to use it. As far as being notified, Amazon usually is quote vocal when a roll out happens.
By the way, Amazon announced yesterday that they're rolling out to Japan and India soon, so it does seem like they're continuing to add new countries.
Userlevel 2
Badge
you can simply set your country on an amazon echo product as a workaround and use it english, I can;t believe u will not be able to do it on a 200+ euros sonos speaker. Does anybody know for sure?
you can simply set your country on an amazon echo product as a workaround and use it english, I can;t believe u will not be able to do it on a 200+ euros sonos speaker. Does anybody know for sure?

I'm willing to bet Sonos is not going to comment on what amounts to circumvention of geoblocking. They've never commented on such before for music services, radio stations, etc. and usually delete any posts with specific instructions on how to do it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
You just need to create an Amazon account in a supported country, then use that account on your Alexa. So long as you speak English or German, Sonos doesn't care about your account and will work.

This is how we beta-test "foreign" versions when developing Alex Skills.
Is having an Amazon US account all it takes? I have had one since 2009 and have bought all my Sonos kit on it, shipped to India. All quite legitimate, even now when I have an Amazon India account for local shopping. No need for any geoblocking workarounds to open and use the US account.
It all depends on Amazon rolling out Alexa support in your country, unless Google Assistant support is implemented, then it depends on Google. Sonos really has nothing to do with it, they are merely using the Alexa/Googe/Siri/Insert Voice Assistant Here/etc. to translate commands. So the short answer is, when Amazon rolls out Alexa in your neck of the woods, so too will Sonos be able to use it. As far as being notified, Amazon usually is quote vocal when a roll out happens. I don't agree fully with that. I live in India. We've had Amazon Alexa working here officially for last 3-4 months (Its pretty good my Echo dot). I also happen to have a pair of Sonos Ones (which I purchased under the impression of being Alexa ready out of the box as mentioned on the Amazon website here). But they don't have Alexa working at present. The notification on Setup says "Voice services are not available in your country at present".
I don't agree fully with that. I live in India. We've had Amazon Alexa working here officially for last 3-4 months (Its pretty good my Echo dot). I also happen to have a pair of Sonos Ones (which I purchased under the impression of being Alexa ready out of the box as mentioned on the Amazon website here). But they don't have Alexa working at present. The notification on Setup says "Voice services are not available in your country at present".

I wrote that 3+ months ago. I was wrong. At the time I didn't know that Sonos also has a cloud that needs to come on line, so there's some pretty heavy engineering and infrastructure that has to be done before bringing another large country into the fold. Sonos has stated they are working on it.