Beam: Alexa Issues

• 29 July 2018
  • 8 replies

Hello,

I NEED your help. I have a new Sonos Beam with integrated Alexa - I have set it up with the app and it is also plugged into my TV. It works brilliant however the Alexa won’t do everything my Amazon Echo (in the Bedroom) will do. It doesn’t seem to play music on Spotify nor does it work to turn my lights on and off (Hue).

In an ideal world I wanted the Echo and the Beam to work together. To be able to drop into each other - play the same track through both and both command my lights etc. Is that even possible? It is with 2 Echos or 2 Dots - so surely it should be with these two aswell?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Paul

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Have you enabled the relevant skills
As it’s on the same account as my Echo which I’ve had for a while - all the skills are enabled already. Unless there is a way of specifying the Beam? Which I can’t seem to suss out..
Badge
Have you emailed Sonos support?
They’re not offering much help. I’ve tried uninstalling Alexa and logging back in but nothing seems to work.
Badge
I had tried the Bose with it's "Clarity" circuit but the tv sound was as good or better. I'm used to watching a movie with closed captioning on and sports with it off. Now with this Beam I no longer use closed captioning except in rare instances where the special sound effects are blaring. Very pleased with the Beam. If they solve the problems great, if not, I'm happy that the sound is so crisp and clear.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Paul

First off, you are not able to sync music across Sonos and non Sonos devices. Amazon have created a structure of Echo devices and Alexa Enabled Devices. This applies to both Amazon and 3rd party products: the Sonos One and Beam are both Alexa Enabled devices and currently can't respond to all Alexa commands: Drop In being one of them. This is an Amazon restriction.

However you should be able to control your Smart home devices via the Beam or Sonos One.

If you have any other questions please let us know.
On my Beam, today, for the first time, Alexa ignored me and didn't answer a couple times until I raised my voice. She used to hear me but something changed recently (update maybe) and not she is more sensitive and I have to speak louder.

Also, today, for the first time, I interacted with Alexa then turned on the TV and no sound. Had to go into Sonos app and change Beam to TV. Never has to so that before.

How do I check version and and how do I force an update?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
On my Beam, today, for the first time, Alexa ignored me and didn't answer a couple times until I raised my voice. She used to hear me but something changed recently (update maybe) and not she is more sensitive and I have to speak louder.

Also, today, for the first time, I interacted with Alexa then turned on the TV and no sound. Had to go into Sonos app and change Beam to TV. Never has to so that before.

How do I check version and and how do I force an update?

Your current software version is displayed in the Sonos App>Settings>About my Sonos system and to check for updates >settings>System updates