Question

Beam, Alexa and Samsung TV remote can't control volume

• 26 September 2019
  • 1 reply

Connected a Beam to a Samsung mu6400 40 inch TV via HDMI/ARC and installed Alexa.

Beam works as well as it does on my other Sonos players/amp - with streaming services and local NAS
Alexa seems to work OK - its my first use of this.

The TV remote vol up/down works with the soundbar but shows 'device input' on the screen when I change volume.

I tried to switch on TV with Alexa - OK and change volume - again OK.

The problem is that, after issuing an Alexa command, the Samsung ( standard or smart ) remotes volume/mute buttons stop working. Only way to get working again is to switch the TV off/on.

I've checked and even when the only command to Alexa is something unrelated to the TV e.g. "what's the weather", as long as the TV is on, the remote volume control stops working.

NB: anynet + / HDMI-CEC is enabled on the samsung; there are no other HDMI devices attached to the TV. Even when the remote is not working, I can still change the Beam volume OK using the app (IOS ).

I'll just put the optical link in tomorrow instead of the HDMI ARC and, given the limited functionality of Alexa with the TV, it doesn't really matter - but its a slight annoyance.

Have reported to Sonos support - if they come up with anything then I'll post here.

I guess this is just another one of the complications of having 3 tech teams involved - Amazon, Samsung and Sonos.

Quite like the Beam whatever - and its freed up a Play 3 to use in another room - and I don't need to get an echo ( if I wanted one ).

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Update

BTW the samsung shows "Receiver (HDMI)" not "device input" when the remote is working.

Tried the optical link this morning instead of the HDMI ARC - there is a connection but can only change the volume via the Sonos App.

• Just seen that I have to factory reset the Beam and then add in the remote - did this and OK.
  • Shame you can only pair one remote with the beam - I use the both the Samsung Standard and the Samsung smart remote so I can choose to adjust volume only on one.