Question

BBC Skill not working.

• 16 December 2017
  • 8 replies

During the week, I automatically received the new BBC skill, for playing BBC radio and podcasts. It works fine on my Echo & Dot - 'Ask BBC to play (station name) works as expected. Not so on my Sonos One - I get the announcement 'Here's (station name), followed by a chime, then nothing. I'd particularly like this skill to work as it's definitely higher quality than TuneIn on my other Alexa devices, and gives easy access to BBC podcasts. Any idea why it doesn't work please? Could it be related to the reason why the Sleep Sounds skill fails to play any sound? I've performed all the usual steps, disabling / re-enabling skills etc to no avail.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I can confirm it doesn't work on the Sonos Ones. However, I don't think the BBC skill is that great. If you ask it what's playing it doesn't know. At least TuneIn says it's BBC one and Radioplayer can even tell you what programme is on and what track is playing. It would be great if the Radioplayer skill would work on Sonos One.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I heard about this skill yesterday on the radio and obviously I was very interested due to the limitation of TuneIn apropos podcasts. I also have a couple of echos. So I activated the skill just to have a play. I didn't expect it to be able to play through my Sonos though and of course it doesn't.

I did, however, find this iPlayer help page with mentions they are actually aware that the Skill won't play through Sonos. This is somewhat positive though there is no promise of a "fix"!

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/radio/amazon-alexa
Badge
Is this an issue with the Sonos 1 or the BBC skill?
Badge +1
I was trying out the BBC skill this morning, but could only get the sound to come from my Dot, and not my Sonos Play.1
Same for I like the BBC "skill" works on my Amazon not on my Sonos.Would be good if it did
Badge +1
Skill wont play on my Sonos Play:1 via my Dot either.
Badge
I have same problem. I gave up on TuneIn because it keeps dropping the stream (Radio 4 mostly). Tried BBC Stream and it works well on the Echo but not on Sonos via Alexa. I also tried Radioplayer for same reason - it works on Sonos directly through app etc but NOT with Alexa (at least for me). Anyone else had any joy?
looks like BBC news is now being blocked on tuneIn (this service is unavailable message).