Answered

Audible

• 30 November 2017
  • 33 replies

Userlevel 2
I just returned my full Sonos system (10 speakers) because of Audible was not available.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 20 March 2018, 20:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Sure you did. You made an at minimum $2000 purchase without ever checking if the most important service to you was supported, then kept them well past the return period, and sold them at a loss just as the company has promised support? Yeah, we believe you. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
That made me smile! 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge
I just got the Sonos One on sale and decided to keep it, despite it failing to play audiobooks, but it has a one-star review over at Amazon from me. The less elegant solution if you want whole home voice-controlled audiobooks is an echo dot and a Bose soundtouch mini. They are sold as a package, and you can get them new from Amazon or Bose for $210 / room.

I took the somewhat more affordable approach of only needing one speaker to figure out Sonos wouldn’t work for me. ;)

(I’d love to rewrite that review, team Sonos.)
Userlevel 2
Badge
Sure you did. You made an at minimum $2000 purchase without ever checking if the most important service to you was supported, then kept them well past the return period, and sold them at a loss just as the company has promised support? Yeah, we believe you. ;)

I bought Sonos without realizing it wouldn’t play audiobooks too. It never occurred to me it would lack the ability to play audiobooks, or any other media.
Badge
I'll put my hand in the pot and say... SONOS could do a little better job of disclaiming the limitations on their website/page about the "One" https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/one.html

...Will first say, I would never go all in (10 speakers) on a new technology without first demo/testing it first.
Secondly.... Here are some verbatim comments from the Sonos website that I find slightly comical and confusing at the same time.

"Start and control your music with your voice. Amazon Alexa built right in." (Longtime Amazon Alexa users just assume since its an Amazon device that it will have the same trusted functionality....DOH!)
"....enjoy all those other helpful Amazon Alexa skills using a single Sonos speaker." (Not so much!... not all the skills are working right now... hopefully they will in due time with updates)
"You can even request a lullaby" (The real Alexa cannot even do this, she complains about it making her very tired)

I'm not against SONOS as I own 2 ONE models and love them. Just being patient for the updates to rollout that will hopefully add more functionality to the Alexa device.
This was another unpleasant surprise after having bought several Sonoses last week. I assumed after seeing Alexa and Amazon Music support that Audible would just work, and didn't actually look it up till today ?‍♂️

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/223/~/audible-and-sonos

AudioBooks.com and Amazon Music works just fine, but I don't want to buy stuff all over again.
Badge
Well at least it will come back so just hang tight I say
They've been saying that since 2014.
Badge
Oh no. Really?!? That sucks
Userlevel 2
Sure you did. You made an at minimum $2000 purchase without ever checking if the most important service to you was supported, then kept them well past the return period, and sold them at a loss just as the company has promised support? Yeah, we believe you. ;)

It must be true. I read it on the internet. 🙂
Userlevel 1
I am almost there, though I can't return because I have had my system over two years. Audible WAS available when I purchased it. I have six speakers. Disgusted.
Userlevel 2
I understand the frustration. I've been harping about it since the day they pulled support. Audible's DRM is a joke, so I can't believe it's a technical matter. Sonos' relationship with Amazon is strong, as witnessed by the recent Alexa integration. so that should no be a delimiter.

I'm hoping they just back-burnered Audible integration in favor of Alexa. Now with that largely complete, perhaps they can make this a higher priority.

They're lack of comment on it, other than the same old line, smacks of contempt for their loyal customers. Here's hoping it arrives soon.
GRRRRRRRR!

Have been frustrated since Audible was removed. But have one Play5 in my 8 room setup into which I have plugged an echo dot, though the line in - we can listen to books in our sitting room that way (no line in on any other devices). I was so pleased today to see Alexa support front and centre on the Sonos stand in my local retailer that I snapped up a new play 1 for my children's room, so that they can enjoy books there too. Silly me. It just didn't occur to me that Audible would not work despite it being a key benefit of using Alexa. They must have actually written additional software to make it not work.

http://audible.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4691 Alexa can do so many cool things, and playing your audiobooks is probably one of the coolest......................... but not on Sonos.

VERY frustrating indeed.

Get it together Sonos. before I replace the lot.
Badge
Someone on these forums claimed before Christmas week they were testing audible on the Sonos beta programme so hopefully it’s on the way.
Userlevel 1
GRRRRRRRR!

Have been frustrated since Audible was removed. But have one Play5 in my 8 room setup into which I have plugged an echo dot, though the line in - we can listen to books in our sitting room that way (no line in on any other devices). I was so pleased today to see Alexa support front and centre on the Sonos stand in my local retailer that I snapped up a new play 1 for my children's room, so that they can enjoy books there too. Silly me. It just didn't occur to me that Audible would not work despite it being a key benefit of using Alexa. They must have actually written additional software to make it not work.

http://audible.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4691 Alexa can do so many cool things, and playing your audiobooks is probably one of the coolest......................... but not on Sonos.

VERY frustrating indeed.

Get it together Sonos. before I replace the lot.

Thanks for this post. I have a bunch of Sonos speakers and all are connected via wifi, audible will play when I use the line in on Sonos 5 on my iPhone or iPad, and it will then play in all of the rooms, but it is a hassle to keep my phone connected like that for hours. I too had this system before audible was removed and have now been waiting over two years. I was going to but the echo (which I do not want) to do a work around, are you saying that even with wifi, it will only play on the mai speaker? I am just completely disgusted with Sonos, Audible (owned by Amazon) and Amazon. Disgusted.
Userlevel 1

I bought Sonos without realizing it wouldn’t play audiobooks too. It never occurred to me it would lack the ability to play audiobooks, or any other media.

Of course, I bought my large system (sonos 5, 3 and 4 Sono's 1's) assuming Audible would function and it did because it was a service that was covered at that time (over two years ago). Now after waiting two plus years and many promises from Sonos that it would be reinstated, it is now 2018 and nothing. Disgusted with Sonos and Audible.
It never crossed my mind to verify an Amazon-owned product would work with an Amazon-owned product. Amazon prime music works, so why not Audible. This a complete joke. How they have the ball to market this as working with Amazon Alexis put a giant footnote will not work with Audible or at least all product you would expect Alexis to work with.
My work around was simply plug an old iPad into the connect amp and run the audible app. Listen in any room then. Simples!
Badge +1
I'm looking for and hoping Audible support is coming. Seems like such a no-brainer...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Every sign says it is coming next week (or soon after). Well I'm sure it took a lot of brains to get it working.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
Looks like Audible is now available. Just added it as a service in the app.
Hope it cost the OP a restocking fee. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
official now https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/audible-on-sonos-6804502
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
As Chris said, starting today, Audible is back on Sonos for in Sonos app and direct control with the Audible App. See more here in our official announcement post
but not, according to the Facebook team, available via Alexa control.....from the announcement "Later this year, you’ll also be able to use Alexa to control what’s playing from Audible on Sonos. ".