Ask Alexa twice to start music

• 16 November 2020
  • 10 replies

Hi,

I’ve been having trouble recently getting Alexa to start playing spotify. I have to ask twice to get it to work, same wording and everything. I’ve removed and re-added spotify account on my sonos app. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the sonos app from the Alexa app. Not sure what else to do.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ahr415.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your effort in doing those steps, I’d be glad to help and try to figure this out.

To better understand, is this only happening with Spotify?

Are there any other Alexa commands affected or on other music services?

Was there any change made on the network recently or power outages?

Kindly reproduce the issue, then submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system as well as the status of the devices, it will help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out,  we are always here to help.

Hi Annazel,

It’s only happening with spotify. I just tried with different apps and it worked after saying it once. It seems to be spotify specificly. 

No other alexa apps seem to be affected, I don’t use many other than to control music and my lights. 

No changes to my network or power outages. 

Confirmation # 840719925. The router is 10’ in direct sight of the Sonos so there shouldn’t be connection issues.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ahr415.

Thanks for your response and effort in submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking the diagnostic report, symptoms indicative of interference have been detected on one or more Sonos components running on your network. This is commonly caused by a poor wireless conditions or wireless congestion. Please check this article that will help you reduce wireless interference around your Sonos products. 

If the above advice was followed and the issue persists, please submit a new diagnostic report so I can check the system further and see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

I have exacty the same issue. As mentioned before, after you’ve asked Alexa twice to play the first song, she then gets into a groove and reacts first time to future requests. I’ve tried all the hints and tips on this thread and others which have not worked. Has anyone found a way to solve this?

As others have been posting, this only started happening with the big app update in summer 2020

Hi @ahr415.

Thanks for your response and effort in submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking the diagnostic report, symptoms indicative of interference have been detected on one or more Sonos components running on your network. This is commonly caused by a poor wireless conditions or wireless congestion. Please check this article that will help you reduce wireless interference around your Sonos products. 

If the above advice was followed and the issue persists, please submit a new diagnostic report so I can check the system further and see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Just got around to hardwiring my speakers and submitted another diagnostic. The problem still occurs with spotify. #1291966706

As noted above by another user, this seems to be a larger problem than just me. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks. Thank you for your patience in this. It would be best to reach out to Sonos Support as we can take a closer look and discuss it with all of you individually in real-time. You can give us a call and work with a technician live, they'll start with checking your system health and go from there. They have resources available for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case, there can be an advantage if they need to remote into the controller to see what's going on.

​If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ahr415 & @AndrewCPUK 

This issue has been resolved with software version 13.1.2. Please update your Sonos app and systems. Thanks.

Hi @ahr415 & @AndrewCPUK 

This issue has been resolved with software version 13.1.2. Please update your Sonos app and systems. Thanks.

Just updated! Thank you! I’ll let you know if anything persists.

Badge

Hi @ahr415 & @AndrewCPUK 

Am I correct that 13.1.2 is only available for S2 devices?  If so, is this also going to be fixed for S1 devices soon?  This started happening to me early this year and is driving us crazy - it essentially makes voice commands unusable.  This used to work properly.  I’ve already tried all the troubleshooting (rebooting all devices, fixed IP addresses, etc) and the problem persists (in two different houses) - looking forward to a fix.  My S1 connect shows version 11.2.9 with no updates available.  Help!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @tad 

We were only aware of this issue affecting S2 systems, and we now consider it closed.

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.