Answered

Ask Alexa to play music through Amp

• 29 October 2022
  • 5 replies

I have setup a couple of the Sonos Amp and a Sonos Soundbar throughout my house. When I setup the Sonos skill in Alexa I can see my soundbar but not the amps in the Amazon devices. How can I get Alexa to see the Amps so I can ask Alexa to play music from Amazon Music to a specific Amp?

Thanks.
Joel 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 1 November 2022, 14:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hi.  The Sonos Amp does not have built in voice control so you cannot set it up as an Alexa device.  (You cannot set up any Sonos product as an Amazon device.)

You can still give Alexa commands to the soundbar (which I assume is an Arc or a Beam) to play on the Amps by stating the ‘room’ name.

You could pick up a couple of 3rd or 4th generation Echo Dots for very little money and use those to add voice control to the Amps.

Ok, just to make sure I understand since the amp doesn’t have a built in Alexa I cannot ask an Alexa Echo to play my music favorites to kitchen which is what the amp is called and controls the speakers in the kitchen.

edit: forgot to mention that I have the sonos skill activated on Alexa. 

thanks. 

You SHOULD be able to say 'Alexa, play songs by X in the kitchen'" and it should play. 

Edit: it is just likely to be more convenient to have a device in the kitchen to hear commands and know by default to play on the Kitchen Sonos.  That is where an Echo Dot could come in.

Ok. That’s what I thought. I have several Alexa’s in the rooms with the amps. I’ll try resetting everything and see if I get different results. 

thanks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Ilovebeer 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’ll try resetting everything and see if I get different results.

Please don’t! More than likely, you’ll just create more work for yourself. We recommend you do not reset Sonos products unless under our guidance or if you are selling the device.

Theoretically, you should be able to simply say “Alexa, discover devices”.

If that doesn’t work, it may help to remove the Sonos skill from Alexa and add it again.

Finally, I’d recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

I hope this helps.