Question

Are Sonos smart speakers compatible with the ones I already have?

• 3 December 2017
  • 4 replies

Hi I am in Australia. I already have sonos in several rooms. In Australia Amazon Alexa will finally launch soon. If I buy a new sonos smart speaker, will it integrate Alexa with all my speakers, or (surely not) am I supposed to replace the entire existing sonos speaker network in order to integrate Alexa completely?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi I am in Australia. I already have sonos in several rooms. In Australia Amazon Alexa will finally launch soon. If I buy a new sonos smart speaker, will it integrate Alexa with all my speakers, or (surely not) am I supposed to replace the entire existing sonos speaker network in order to integrate Alexa completely?

Hi. Yes the new Sonos One will integrate with your existing system in the same way as adding a player or sub. Alexa will discover all of your Sonos players. The only difference is that when voice control is initiated via an Echo Dot, you will need to include the Sonos room name, whereas when initiated via the Sonos One, you can omit the room name. e.g. 'Alexa, play soft jazz in Kitchen Sonos'. (If you have grouped multiple rooms in the Sonos App, then all rooms in that group will output the requested music when a voice request is received for any room within that group.)

I suggest that you change your current room names to Room Name + Device Name, so that you avoid duplicate names when adding your Echo devices. e.g. Kitchen Echo Dot, Kitchen Sonos, etc.
Great, thanks. M
am i supposed to be able to use my new Sonos One speaker to talk to and listen to alexa in the room the Sonos One is in? i thought the new speakers had a microphone.
i can tell my echo dot to play spotify through sonos and the old sonos speakers are networked for that. but i can’t get any response from my sonos one speaker if i try to speak to alexa through it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

Can you check that the small white round light is showing on the top of the Sonos One? If not the Mic has been turned off accidentally, just touch the Mic symbol to toggle it back on.