Answered

Any way to disable Amazon Music?

• 10 February 2021
  • 6 replies

Any way to disable Amazon Music? When I say play whatever on Pandora,  Sonos plays Amazon music. Only by saying play whatever on F*** Pandora does Sonos play Pandora. Did Amazon buy Pandora? Are all non Amazon options going away? Regretting my buying decision.

Don’t like being guided into what I want to listen to.

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 10 February 2021, 22:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Yes.  In the Alexa app, go to More → Settings → Music & Podcasts → Default Services.  From there you can specify your default services.

Thank you. I had that set before but I guess it was reset to Amazon.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have the same issue and it’s driving me mad.  I have Spotify set as my default music service but still Alexa plays from Amazon Music unless I say “… from Spotify” each time.  Anyone else have this issue and what’s the fix?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @simonlangford - if Alexa’s behaviour doesn’t match what is set in the Alexa app, then I’d start by disabling and re-enabling the Sonos skill within the Alexa app (More > Skjills & Games > Sonos)

If there’s no change however, then another possibility is that the Alexa app and Alexa on the speaker are using two different Amazon accounts - if you ask “Alexa, who’s account is this?" does it match the account used in the Alexa app?

Badge +1

Yes.  In the Alexa app, go to More → Settings → Music & Podcasts → Default Services.  From there you can specify your default services.

This does not disable Amazon Music, it can NOT be disabled.

You can try to make it have a lower priority, Amazon does not want you to disable it, you can’t.

This does not disable Amazon Music, it can NOT be disabled.

You can try to make it have a lower priority, Amazon does not want you to disable it, you can’t.

if you don’t want to use Amazon music at all, you could remove the streaming service from the Sonos app.  That would likely just result in your command not being completed at all, but perhaps that’s preferable to Sonos playing the wrong music.   Although the default service is helpful, I’ve experienced Alexa getting it wrong a lot recently myself.  Commands that worked fine before (to play an XM station) sometimes play Amazon.

Personally, I don’t trust Amazon as a corporation, and I think they have intentionally written it in to their algorithms to get the request wrong and play Amazon occasionally when you specifically didn’t ask to.  The hope being that you decide Amazon is all you need and stop using that other service.    They probably have the data to know that you aren’t going to be so annoyed that you switch to Google Assistant, or stop using voice control altogether.