Answered

Amp and Alexa

• 13 August 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I find the Sonos support site most frustrating!!  It seems that every topic is discussed for every Sonos product!  What happened to the old concept of a user nmanual for each product?

A simple question - can I control my Amp using Alexa?  I have spent a great deal of time trying to work through “Set up an Amazon Alexa device to control Sonos”, but without any success!!

Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by buzz 15 August 2022, 15:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So where does it go wrong for you?

AMP alone is cannot be voice controlled. If you have another SONOS voice enabled product or another Alexa voice controller, such as a DOT, you can then voice control AMP.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks - I am trying to control (for The Boss in the kitchen) my AMP feeding two 8 ohm speakers in the kitchen as we both spend a great deal of time there.  When she wants to change stations or volumes from the other end of the kitchen, she likes to just shout at Alexa rather than hunt for a mobile phone!

Previously, I had a line-in feed from an Amazon Show 8 into the AMP, but found that the AMP always saw the Show 8 as active, and so was always on - instead of going to the 6W standby consumption when inactive.

I also have the Roam - but in another part of the house - a couple of original Ones (not the voice-activated later models) and an original Soundbar in theatre setup.

When I go through the setup procedure, I get to the “Services & Voice” bit, select Alexa, but it only shows up the Sonos Roam - not the AMP.

Where am I going wrong? Or am I chasing the Impossible Dream of controlling the AMP with the Amazon Show 8?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So you go wring in step 2 in this scheme? https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3439?language=en_US