Question

Amazon Music Casting from App

• 27 December 2019
  • 4 replies

Hi,

Up until recently I could cast music from the Amazon Music Android app to any of my Sonos speakers. For background, I have one Play:5 1st gen, two stereo pairs of Play:1s, and a Sonos Beam plus 2 Play:1s, each in different rooms. I can no cast to any of these from Amazon, I’ve had the “Amazon is streaming on another device” error, but now I don’t even get that - the app claims to be connected to the Sonos device I want to cast to, but nothing plays.

Using the Sonos app, the system works fine, it’s just Amazon that’s a problem. I can play Amazon content from the Sonos app, but for some reason the range of music available from Amazon inside Sonos seems very limited, hence the need to cast from the Amazon app.

I don’t use Alexa or any other voice thing. Does anyone know whether Alexa is now required for casting from Amazon Music?

I’ve tried uninstalling Amazon Music and Sonos from all Android devices, then reinstalling. I’ve tried removing than adding the Amazon Music service to the Sonos app, reauthorizing the device etc., with no,luck.

If I can’t get this working again, then I’ll be ditching Amazon and moving to another music service.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Perhaps try rebooting the router and the mobile to see if that fixes things.

Perhaps try rebooting the router and the mobile to see if that fixes things.

Hi Ken, 

Tried that!

Cheers, 

Paul 

A couple of points here:

1. Does Sonos support direct casting from the Amazon Music app?  I may have missed it but that’s news to me.  It is possible that you have been able to do this under DLNA, but Sonos does not claim to be DLNA compliant.  So I would not expect this to be stable and reliable.  Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
  2. You can definitely play all Amazon music through the Sonos app, so the need to cast directly does not in fact exist.  Maybe you have only linked Amazon Prime Music (free, 2 million tracks), not Amazon Unlimited (subscription, 40+ million tracks)?

You can cast from the Amazon Music App direct to Sonos or echo devices, or use AirPlay on iOS, just for your info John 👍 … here is a part of my device list from the Amazon Music App. See screenshot...