Amazon Echo Sub

• 21 September 2018
  • 4 replies

Does anyone know if the newly announced Amazon Echo Sub will be able to pair with Sonos speakers via Airplay 2?

More specifically, I have a Playbase, One and a Play: 5 (gen 2) that I use to play music (via Airplay 2 rather than the Sonos app). Seeing as the Amazon Echo Sub will connect via WiFi, can this be added into the group via Airplay 2?

Admittedly, the Echo Sub will be no way great in comparison to the Sonos Sub, however, at the price tag it's surely going to win the hearts of anyone who doesn't want to fork out £700 on the Sonos Sub.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

No, it won't ever so pair; at this time, even among Amazon products, it will pair only with the Echo released last year, and the latest Echo. And I would not dismiss it lightly without listening to how it sounds with an Echo/Echo pair. It isn't a complete lightweight at over 9 pounds weight, and 8 inches in height and width; with Amazon offering a bundle of Echo pair + Sub for USD 250, I am looking forward to see reviews of how that sounds.
Cheers for the response mate. Yes, will be good to see what the reviews will say post-release. Perhaps if future updates allow it to be used within AirPlay then it will compete with the sales of Sonos Subs.

Sonos will be hit hard with Amazon's new line up as it's a lot more affordable to the average user. I'd expect Sonos to have some new releases in mind that competes (in price) with their current competitors.
IMO, Sonos will be hard pressed to keep up with product development at Amazon, as well as the Amazon ability to take their products rapidly to a global market place. See this if interested:
https://en.community.sonos.com/music-culture-the-industry-228997/amazon-alexa-amplifier-receiver-subwoofer-6813004
Thanks for providing the link Kumar. It was an interesting read. Agreed, that Sonos may need to think clever on their next steps on how they want to play on this market as their competitors are raising the game for the audience.