Answered

Amazon Dot not playing in group

• 7 March 2019
  • 4 replies

I recently added a Play Bar and two Sonos Ones to my Play 5. I also have one Amazon Echo and three Amazon Dots. All of my Sonos speakers are connected in a group I call “Downstairs”. I have also added two of the Dots to the group. If I ask Alexa to play music on “Downstairs” from any of the Alexa devices (either Dot or the Sonos Ones), the music only plays on the Sonos speakers, not the Dots. Music plays just fine on the Dots if I don’t tell it to play in the group. I have disabled the Sonos Skill and re-enabled it, no change. The Dots, of course, don’t show up in the device list on the Sonos app for grouping there. Is there any way to get the Dots to play in this group?
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 7 March 2019, 18:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Amazon Echos and Sonos aren't capable of playing simultaneous with each other.

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/alexa-multiroom-music-simultaneously-on-sonos-and-echo-devices-6817442
Unfortunately, playing Sonos speakers and echos together is not a supported feature. The two systems used different technology for playing their products in sync and are currently not compatible.
Thank you for the responses. I had pretty much concluded that was the case. Oh well! That helps to justify my desire to go get more Sonos Ones. ?
I have my Sonos speakers (a Playbar and two Ones working as rear satellites in a surround configuration) working in an Alexa multi-room music configuration. Mind you, the music streaming source is not Sonos. Here's what I have set up: Fire TV Cube connected to TV via HDMI, TV connected to Playbar via digital optical. Multi-room music group: Echo, Echo dot connected via an aux cable to a stereo receiver, Echo Show and Fire TV Cube / Sonos. I can ask any of the Echo devices to play music on the group. I had to tweak the audio sync setting on the Fire TV Cube, but other than that it works great - 4 downstairs rooms, playing the same music, all in sync. So, while the Sonos isn't actually playing the music, the music is coming through the Sonos speakers and I get my music throughout my downstairs as desired. 🙂