Alexas group volume control with Sonos.

• 23 June 2018
  • 7 replies

When will a voice controller be able to control the volume of my grouped rooms? Will purchase a voice controller (Alexis, Google, etc) when one of them can control my Sonos grouped rooms
We rarely play play just one room. Useless tool for Sonos without that feature.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

As soon as it's technically feasible and/or Amazon distributes this feature to ALEXA-enabled third-party devices.
Technically this is Very feasible. A group could have a unique id per user that is then shared just as a room name is between Alexa and Sonos. Or the group name could be assigned by the user apon creation. My point is that this IS techically feasible and very simple. My guess is that it will take our DEMAND before Sonos developers and Amazon or Google get their stuff together to give us this feature. I have no doubt that one agile 10 day sprint could solve this.
Google Assistant isn't even available on Sonos yet.
Technically this is Very feasible. A group could have a unique id per user that is then shared just as a room name is between Alexa and Sonos. Or the group name could be assigned by the user apon creation. My point is that this IS techically feasible and very simple. My guess is that it will take our DEMAND before Sonos developers and Amazon or Google get their stuff together to give us this feature. I have no doubt that one agile 10 day sprint could solve this.

It's definitely requested frequently...pretty much from the initial release of the Sonos/Alexa integration. I'm not sure it's an easy change though. I think I have a fairly good understanding of how that integration works, but not enough to understand the underlying framework, and whether adding name groups fits within that framework. Then there surely be negotiations between Sonos and Amazon on which side coding needs to be done on and such.

And as much as people want this feature, it's probably third or fourth on the list of changes to the Alexa integration alone. Sonos developers also have irons in the fire with the Airplay 2, Google Integration, last minute bug fixes for the Beam, the works with Sonos program, and who knows what else.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
You can do this with third party skills, but not the official Sonos one.
You can do this with third party skills, but not the official Sonos one.
Which third party skill do you use for this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
I get into trouble by mentioning its name. Just search the Skills store for Sonos.