Answered

Alexa won't execute commands to play or pause music on SONOS Play1

• 24 March 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Just started having problems with my Play1 with built in Alexa to execute commands to play or pause music and change stations that have previously worked with no problems. Alexa responds with a chime and says ok but then nothing, then I must use the app to issue the commands. Whereas, upon issuing the same command to my Echo Dot, the command is executed immediately on the Dot as well any Sonos equipment where I tell it to play.

Note: Commands to the Alexa on Play1 to turn on Philips Hue lighting and ask for information like what the current time is works just fine.

Also, just for poops and giggles, when asking Alexa on both SONOS and Echo Dot "what song is playing", I get the response Lonely Boy by The Black Keys, no matter what song is playing. Any ideas of what is going on?
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 24 March 2018, 23:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Same here. Asks can start playing my Pandora just fine. But when I ask her to stop, 'Alexa Stop', I get the chime, the light blinks, then nothing. Once I got the response that she didn't know how to complete that command. All worked fine before today.
I would try going to the 'now playing' screen of each of your Sonos Rooms in the Sonos App and unhiding their queue and maybe clear out anything that was playing and also end any sessions that were streaming to the room from your music service provider.

Then sperately, in the Alexa app, under smarthome devices, remove your Sonos devices (rooms) and ask Alexa to rescan for devices.

See if that fixes things.

If not, try also switching off each speaker for 30 seconds and switching it back on again, do them one at a time.

Hopefully that will resolve your issues.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I just wanted follow up on this to let folks know what I did to get things back in working order.
After a bunch of unnecessary resetting of SONOS devices and re-setting them onto the wi-fi network with no success, I finally decided to disable the Alexa skill for SONOS. Then I reinstated it with all of the proper credential and voila! Back in action.
dbinsky,

Thanks for the update. Really glad to hear that all is now well.