Answered

Alexa with Sonos stereo pair

• 30 May 2023
  • 2 replies

I have 2 original Sonos ones (i.e.without microphones) which I have as a stereo pair in my kitchen. For quite some time they have worked perfectly using Alexa voice commands using an Echo Dot in the same room after setting up “Kitchen” as my preferred speaker.. Suddenly the right channel stopped playing without any changes being made. When I play music using the sonos app both speakers work perfectly. I have tried:

Updating the software

Deleting and adding “kitchen” again in the Alexa App

Unplugging and restarting the speakers

Disabled the Alexa skill and enabled again and rerun discovery

But nothing has worked.

I contacted Sonos support who tried the same steps as above  and then gave up saying “Please note that the two Play 1 are not Voice-capable units, therefore this setup is not supported by Sonos, and we do not have a set of steps that we can recommend, however, what I recommend doing is to check with the Sonos community pages and see if other Sonos using are using the same configuration as you, you may be able to find some tips which may help you” which was more than a little disappointing.

I would really appreciate any suggestions I can try to resolve this.

icon

Best answer by User350610 31 May 2023, 11:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

Try separating the Play:1s as a stereo pair and swapping the speakers (left speaker is now the right speaker, right speaker is now the left) and create a stereo pair and test again.

Many thanks for your suggestion. I did as you suggested but also before I did that I once again removed sonos as my preferred speaker, disabled the skill and totally closed down the Alexa app. I then set up the stereo pair, started up Alexa app, linked my account to the app then set my preferred speaker…….and it worked!

Thanks again it’s been driving me crazy for over a week now.