Alexa will start sonos connect audio, but will not stop it

I have a sonos connect that I am attempting to control with Alexa. “Alexa play WXYZ” will cause Tunein (my default service) to play the requested station on my Sonos Connect (my default speaker). Recently, “Alexa stop” results in either no response from Alexa, or causes Alexa to reply “I can not pause”. I have tried rebooting my alexa device, and also tried disabling the sonos alexa skill, and re-enabling it. My sonos system version as reported by my Android app is 14.10

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Have you tried unplugging the Connect for a couple of minutes and rebooting your router?

Have you tried unplugging the Connect for a couple of minutes and rebooting your router?

I have tried rebooting the Connect, it had no effect. I’m not going to reboot my router, as that will disrupt my entire network and all users in the house, and it is a virtual certainty that this problem is not related to my router. 

Let me know how you make out.  My Move has been playing music fine since I got it a couple years ago, but recently will not pause or stop the music.  It will also skip tracks, volume up/down, etc. but no way to stop the music without turning it off.  I tried disabling/re-enabling the skill and rebooting things to no avail.  It is VERY annoying seeing as how it used to work fine for years….and my network setup (router, etc) has not changed.

I did some more testing. I have a Alexa group defined for the room that my alexa is in, and it is named “living room”. The default (and only) Alexa speaker in that Alexa room is my Connect and it has an Alexa name of “living room connect”. As stated above, I can start audio playing by saying “Alexa play WXYZ”.  If I stop audio by saying “alexa stop living room”, it will stop the audio. But if I say “alexa stop”, it will not. (“alexa stop” results in either no response from Alexa, or causes Alexa to reply “I can not pause”.) This is new behavior, “alexa stop” previously has worked for years. 

Alexa is running its newest software (669701420), and Sonos is running its newest software (14.10)

Userlevel 1
Badge

It’s not just you…I have the same issue with a Sonos One.  It may be co-incidence, but it stopped reaponding to “Alexa Stop’ around the same time as i activated SVC. SVC will reapond to a stop command.  I’ll keep poking around and see if I get it working again with Alexa.