Answered

Alexa Will Not Recognize Sonos Play 1

• 3 January 2019
  • 7 replies

Badge
No matter what I do to install Alexa, Play 1 will not show online.
It is not discoverable.
I disconnected my Sonos account from Alexa and then rejoined it to see if that solution would work. Not.
But it is showing in my devices.
Ran diagnostic 1764600812
Pics attached.
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 4 January 2019, 16:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

itsjustme,

Is it a Play 1, or a Sonos One? If it’s the latter, do you have the 'speaker touch controls' enabled in the room settings of the device and is the mic switched on?
Badge
It is a Play 1. I have read all the forums I could for the last 2 days. Followed all suggestions and nothing. I took the Play 1 offline and back on again.
As a Beta tester, I even submitted a diagnostic as is customary.
I'm at a total loss as to what steps to take next.
If this is related to beta testing you should not be posting here.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
What are you trying to achieve?

1. Speak to the Play One and have Alexa respond? - this will not work as Play Ones do not have Alexa built in, or Microphones to be able to hear the request.

2. Speak to an Echo Device.... let’s say an Echo Dot and have the music stream through the Play One? - this is possible, but you need an echo device to act as the Alexa “Brain” and Mic.... then you need to add the Echo device to the Same room in Alexa App and set “Default Speaker” to be the Play One
Badge
Thank you BMF. That's what I wanted to know. What I needed to add on, the Echo to achieve to use the Play 1 to enable Alexa. Appreciate it.
Perhaps my wording was not precise. Problem solved.
Thank you BMF. That's what I wanted to know. What I needed to add on, the Echo to achieve to use the Play 1 to enable Alexa. Appreciate it.
Perhaps my wording was not precise. Problem solved.

You can actually use the Alexa component that’s built into your Fire Tablet... in fact there is an option to leave Alexa 'on' and listening for the wake word. You just need to install the Sonos Skill in your Amazon Alexa App smart-home section and scan for all Sonos devices.
Badge
Hey Ken, that's awesome. I happen to have a Fire Tablet. Brand new. In box, have never used it. Thanks SO much for that as it would never have occured to me. It was one of those Black Friday sales I couldn't pass up. I will follow your instructions and so then I will be able to then integrate into the Play 1?
I am really happy!
Thanks all for the time taken to assist me. 🙂