Alexa wake word

• 30 September 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

So you can’t change the wake word for Alexa on Sonos, and clearly lots of people in this community would like this functionality. My question is, how do we get that message to Sonos management directly? I’m thinking that posting that request in this forum is a post to the community, that is preaching to the converted.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @JaimeB.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

We highly appreciate your feedback here in the community, we will make sure to log the request and pass it along to the team.

We work closely with the Amazon team too, but it's always best to let both sides know if there's a feature you're looking for.

Feel free to let us know of any other feature requests you may have for we rely on this feedback to make Sonos a more intuitive system!

Userlevel 1

HI @Annazel S 

I really appreciate your reply, thank you! It’s great to know Sonos is listening.

Since this feature exists in Amazon products, it must be a licensing issue rather than a development issue. So, have you passed my request on the the licensing team? Is the feature withheld in Sonos due to cost, or is Amazon withholding it as part of its business strategy?

I’m also interested in your suggestion that Sonos community members reach out to Amazon to request the feature be enabled in Sonos. What would you suggest we say, something like “Please can you extend the current licence with Sonos to enable this feature to be provided?” Do you think that would be effective, given we are Sonos customers rather than Amazon customers?

Thank you for explaining.

Jaime

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @JaimeB.

Thanks for your response.

We’re focused on using Alexa voice control to make it easier and faster to control your music at home. While changing the wake word feature is not available on Sonos, we have nothing specific to share on future support at this time. Sorry, but we cannot provide guidance on lobbying a feature request to the service.

Please let us know if you have additional concerns, we’d be glad to send them up for you.

Please add my family to the list of users who want to be able to change the wake word when using Amazon Echo functionality with our Arc soundbar. We have a half dozen other devices throughout our home that all wake to the non-gendered “Echo” because we prefer not to give our AI assistant a female name. Would like to see this fixed ASAP. 

Need to change to echo  because someone in my house had a name that is very close to Alexa. Thanks. 

Hello, please add me as well to the list who is interested in changing the wakeup word. It is annoying to switch between word depending in which room I am, as I also have Amazon devices.

The default wakeup word is also a security issue, as if you are watching something on tv or anywhere else, your devices get triggered by the command which follows. This is a big issue.

Thank you very much. Looking forward to the update.

One would think changing the wake word on the Arc would be as easy as it is on any of the Alexa devices… How is this not a possibility?? Seems to me a very poor design/collaboration!! It makes absolutely no sense why it isn’t possible.

Another request for the ability to alter the Alexa wake word (from “Alexa”) on SONOS kit.

This facility is available on Alexa devices, which is incredibly handy when you have a person with a similar name living with you e.g. Alex…

I currently have voice recognition turned off on my SONOS ONE - having paid extra for this option.

Come on SONOS - please sort this out...