Alexa Volume split

• 24 November 2023
  • 7 replies

I just started with sonos ones (5x) coming from Alexa speakers.

Immediately I hit this problem that the volume of alexa is the volume of sonos.

That way alexa is unusable when the volume of the sonos is low. It is just impossible to hear the reply from Alexa.

When music is playing round 2-6% alexa ls response is not hearable.

Please can this be separately splitted?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @SanderLe 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

It isn’t presently possible to have separate volumes for the speaker and for Alexa.

Thank you - I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Keep the ideas coming!

Hi @Corry P, good that it is now a feature request. I wonder what happened to all te previous questions and topics around this issue. A simple search in a search engine reveals this is a longtime and widely discussed topic.

I bought 5 sonos ONE's, installed them and then discovered this behavior... very disappointing... I now work around by using external automations in Homeassistant to detect and respond and set volumes accordingly --> not ideal and not reliable.

Please make this a top priority as I think advertising a an "audio company" with integrated Alexa and this behavior is pretty poor.

Please post back here any status updates of the feature request and ETA.

Thanks in advance, hope for a quick resolution.

Marked with best answer? Is "keep them coming" an answer?

I am deeply disappointed in sonos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @SanderLe 

I’ve converted this thread to a conversation - no more “Best Answer”.

I wonder what happened to all te previous questions and topics around this issue. A simple search in a search engine reveals this is a longtime and widely discussed topic.

Yes, this has been requested before - it’s probably therefore safe to assume that it has indeed been considered, and rejected. I cannot say why, however. It may help to think of Alexa as an app that runs on our platform, and so realise that we’re not free to alter the Alexa code as we see fit - it’s Amazon’s intellectual property. There may even be an agreement in place as a condition of Alexa support that we do not alter the volume - I just don’t know.

Having said that, it’s also possible that adding the feature is on our to-do list, but that there are other priorities - this is also something that I just don’t know, and would not be free to share if I did.

Making this feature request a “top priority” is beyond my power - I’ve passed it along, and that’s all I can do.

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."

Please make this a top priority.  It should be added as a volume BALANCE control. Sonos Audio vs Alexa Audio.  I added a Roam to my kitchen to replace our Echo and have been dissatisfied with the Roam because of this.   

Adding some sand on the pile:

It's unbelievable the volume is coupled!

Sonos clearly has a "tech devops" teams and not "user devops".

Waste of money a Sonos with alexa!