Alexa volume control

• 6 October 2017
  • 16 replies

Alexa says she doesn't have the function to control my volume.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Hey there, KySonos:

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Are you able to control track selection with Amazon Alexa? Have you tried disabling and re-enabling the Sonos Skill in your Amazon Alexa app? Perhaps you will find this article helpful.
Badge
Hey there, KySonos:

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Are you able to control track selection with Amazon Alexa? Have you tried disabling and re-enabling the Sonos Skill in your Amazon Alexa app? Perhaps you will find this article helpful.

I'm having the same problem with no positive result. I can change tracks pause play switch speakers but controlling the volume isn't happening.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I can change the volume up by saying 'Alexa volume up in Living Room', but I can't turn the volume down. I've tried saying 'down', 'lower', 'volume 1' and always followed by the room name but nothing happens.

When the volume does increase, it increases too much and ends up blasting the house out. I then have to find my phone to manually turn it down. The increments between volume levels seams to be too far, it would be useful if you could adjust the volume with more control.
Badge
I can change the volume up by saying 'Alexa volume up in Living Room', but I can't turn the volume down. I've tried saying 'down', 'lower', 'volume 1' and always followed by the room name but nothing happens.

When the volume does increase, it increases too much and ends up blasting the house out. I then have to find my phone to manually turn it down. The increments between volume levels seams to be too far, it would be useful if you could adjust the volume with more control.

I was finally able to get the volume control to work at fist it didn't work at all, and then it did but I had the same trouble as you. After disabling the skill an doing everything over it finally works

I would submit a diagnostic and post the reference number here. That will allow the Sonos techs a closer look at what is going on. You can also take a look at the log on the Alexa app to see if the commands are somehow getting misinterpreted.
I'm a big fan of disabling the skill in Alexa, and then setting it back up. It's worked for me in the past for things like this, but I'm at a loss as to why it makes a difference. I like to have a logical explanation in my mind, but right now, why one works, and the other doesn't, makes no sense to me. Frustrating.

Hey there, Richard.

Did you happen to try disabling the skill and re-enabling the skill? I understand you were having a similar problem. jgatie also suggested something helpful with checking the Alexa app to see what commands it is picking up. Check out how here.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Hi, disabling and re-enabling the skill worked a treat. I can now use Alexa to adjust the volume on any speaker in the house (Up or Down). The increments between volume levels is still too much but I guess there isn't anything that can be done about that at this time.
Hey guys - I hope someone can help! I can’t consistently get Alexa to control the volume on my Play 3, it occasionally works but it usually says ‘that command doesn’t work on device xxx’ e.g. Alexa increase volume in room xxx

I’ve tried a whole range of phrases but I can’t get any to consistently control the volume - I can change/skip tracks, request playlists and so on.

I’ve re-enabled the skill and it worked for the first two commands then stopped - if it’s helpful here’s the Sonos diagnostic report number 8125294
Timbo64: Thanks for the diagnostic report and for the details of whats happening. You may want to give our support technicians a call so we can work on this in real time. Our contact information can be found here. Much appreciated.
I have a similar problem. I can say "alexa, turn the volume down in the kitchen" and it will but if I ask it to turn the volume up it just says "that command doesnt work on device kitchen". Ive tried numerous ways of telling it and it wont turn it up!
Have also tried disabling and re-enabling the skill as well as unlinking and relinking account etc.
Very anoyying. Anyone any advice?
I also have a similar issue. I've tried the re-enabling of the Skill in the Alexa app.

Interestingly if you check the Alexa app after you ask for the volume change it doesn't seem to have a record of the voice query, even though it responsed and said "That command is not available on device Office".
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I also have a similar issue. I've tried the re-enabling of the Skill in the Alexa app.

Interestingly if you check the Alexa app after you ask for the volume change it doesn't seem to have a record of the voice query, even though it responsed and said "That command is not available on device Office".

I suggest that you reset your voice control by following the steps I've listed in the Answer for this post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239
This is happening on mine too. I have removed everything and re-enabled but it only worked for two commands and now doesn't work at all. I can start music from TuneIn or Spotify but the volume is hit and miss, I often hear 'that command does not work on device kitchen'. A number of people seem to reference this issue, is it a system issue or my setup? I have done a diagnostic number: 8267402.

Thanks, Andrew
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
This is happening on mine too. I have removed everything and re-enabled but it only worked for two commands and now doesn't work at all. I can start music from TuneIn or Spotify but the volume is hit and miss, I often hear 'that command does not work on device kitchen'. A number of people seem to reference this issue, is it a system issue or my setup? I have done a diagnostic number: 8267402.

Thanks, Andrew

Hi Andrew Can you check Alexa App>Smart Home>Device and check for duplicate names, also check any Alexa Groups that you've created - they all need to be unique. If you need to change any Sonos players then you'll need to Discover again.

If the problem persists, please follow the steps in this post to reset the linking of your Amazon and Sonos accounts:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-alexa-issues-6796539/index1.html#post16180399
Hi, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. The only devices I have on Alexa are my five sonos zones: Kitchen (2x Play3 stereo pair), Living room (ConnectAmp), Office (Play1), William (Play1) and Bedroom (Play5). I have no Alexa Groups.

Strangely volume seems to be behaving now. Seems to be very tempramental!

Thanks, Andrew