Alexa Voice control issue on Era 100

• 31 December 2023
  • 28 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Need to repeat Alexa several times on ERA 100 to activate it. When using Alexa about 50% of the time after saying Alexa the light goes out and it stops listening, I have to say Alexa a couple of times before it actually works ... See the video

28 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Minsou 

Link to this thread… (that you have already found)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Do you have any other Alexa devices in your home?  I haven’t got any Era 100’s but I’ve noticed that my Echo Dots have become very sensitive recently and often answer instead of a Sonos device even when in a different room!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Do you have any other Alexa devices in your home?  I haven’t got any Era 100’s but I’ve noticed that my Echo Dots have become very sensitive recently and often answer instead of a Sonos device even when in a different room!

If you read the linked thread above you will see that several users tried everything possible on user side including what you suggested. The behavior discussed here also happens if you don’t use any other Alexa device besides the Era100. 
Really seems to be a software bug imho. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you read the linked thread above you will see that several users tried everything possible on user side including what you suggested. The behavior discussed here also happens if you don’t use any other Alexa device besides the Era100. 
Really seems to be a software bug imho. 

That’s very possible but the challenge is in whose code.  When a user utters the wake word, it is Amazon who decide which Alexa enabled device received the clearest command and makes that device the controlling device and the other devices mute.  My understanding is that Sonos just pass the command to Amazon and they then decide what to do and return a message to the Sonos device.  Since Alexa was first enabled in Sonos devices, there have been numerous tweaks to the sensitivity of the Wake word.  There is always a balance between ensuring that the device wakes up and reducing false triggers.

I’m not 100% sure but I believe that this tuning is carried out primarily by Amazon in their cloud service.  Hence me pointing out the changes that I’m experiencing with my Echo devices.  However without knowledge of the cloud architecture of the Sonos and Amazon messaging, I can only guess.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@UKMedia

Yes, thats the way it usually should work. But in this case imho there’s a problem at the very first step when the microphones are activated. Sometimes they immediately shut down again. So maybe the reason for this bug is just on the Era100 firmware side. But not sure because it only happens for Alexa and not for SVC. Just Sonos knows how this works in detail. 
But definitely it’s not a matter of sensitivity and speach, because you can force this bug also by holding down the microphone touch button instead of saying the keyword. Normally you can use this as an alternative to activate the microphones for Alexa and then she will listen until you release your finger from the button. 
But using this way the LED also sometimes turns off immediately after you put your finger on the touch button. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@UKMedia

But definitely it’s not a matter of sensitivity and speach, because you can force this bug also by holding down the microphone touch button instead of saying the keyword. Normally you can use this as an alternative to activate the microphones for Alexa and then she will listen until you release your finger from the button. 
But using this way the LED also sometimes turns off immediately after you put your finger on the touch button. 

Again, I don’t have this device so can’t test but that’s not my understanding of the functionality of the Mic button.  The mic is either turned on or off by pressing the Mic button.  The functionality that you’ve mentioned is only when the Mic is turned Off, please see: https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/using-touch-controls-on-sonos-products

Unless, I’ve misunderstood your post.

Userlevel 3
Badge

No i have no other echo device at home

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@UKMedia 

I just wanted to straighten out, that the problem doesn‘t depend on mic sensitivity and way of speaking. And that could be proofed by using the touch functionality. 
So users don’t have to waste time testing this. 😉
The Sonos support document btw isn’t worded exactly because you also can use the touch button for activation if mics are turned on. 

I have exactly the same issue, ERA 100 I had a case open with Sonos support, in the end today they said its a known issue and they were working to fix it, I had called about 3 or 4 times and there was no mention of this so I hope that is true. I think I will post of social media and tag Sonos. 

Maybe if you haven't log a case and say I know it's a known issue, there more report it the quicker it will be fixed. 

I have exactly the same issue, ERA 100 I had a case open with Sonos support, in the end today they said its a known issue and they were working to fix it, I had called about 3 or 4 times and there was no mention of this so I hope that is true. I think I will post of social media and tag Sonos. 

Maybe if you haven't log a case and say I know it's a known issue, there more report it the quicker it will be fixed. 

Maybe see this earlier thread…

I’ve got exactly the same issue. My Era 300 in the lounge works brill with Alexa. My Era 100 in the bedroom often drives me mad. It does make me laugh listening to my wife get increasingly frustrated after the 3rd or 4th attempt to get her to listen. 
This issue really does need sorting ASAP though. Telling Alexa 3 times to stop an alarm is annoying. 
Any news on an update Sonos? 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Unfortunatly no news from Sonos

Have just returned to Sonos.. with a Era 100.

Definitely an issue with Alexa waking up.. as described here.  Will be returning it if not resolved soon.

It us a great speaker otherwise.

I’m having the exact same thing with my era 100 and Alexa. Driving me nuts. Just uninstalled and reinstalled Alexa voices skill to see if helps.

If I say ‘Alexa’ and then nothing else the light and mic stays lit and on, but as soon as I start saying a command after ‘Alexa’ the light and mic go off. 

How am I best submitting an error report to Sonos to get this fixed?

Follow this link for instructions on how to submit a diagnostic.

Remember, they won’t automatically look at it, you need to then call in with the diagnostic number.

Same issue with mine. Sonos confirmed they are investigated but no ETA on any fix. Also not prepared to refund etc under warranty which is very concerning! 

I have the EXACT same issue. I have a pair of Era 100’s in my bedroom. Tried with both speakers independently, as you don’t need both speakers Alexa enabled in the same room.

They both react in the same way. Mostly the light comes on when you say Alexa and immediately goes off.

It stops listening before you make your request.

Works fine with my Sonos One, Arc, Roam & Move.

Only issue with the Era 100’s

Very annoying as when raised with support they tried to blame my router and the signal strength of the speakers. Never been an issue before and I’m pretty technical with these things. 

Having the exact same problem. After submitting a diagnostic, sonos support confirmed it’s a known issue with the Era 100 and Alexa (this was back at the start of January). On subsequent calls to support i’ve been given the run-around with suggestions of router / connection issues etc.

It was even suggested that I just use sonos voice control instead! Sorry, but you sold me a smart speaker so a smart speaker is what I expect

Its disappointing that sonos aren't making this more of a priority to get sorted, especially as they are still selling the speaker as ‘Alexa built in’. Built in Alexa is no good if you have to say Alexa 6 times just to stop a timer

I received my new Era 100 yesterday and just set it up to find I have the very same problem. Hardly any response using Alexa voice commands. The Sonos One that I was going to replace work’s brilliantly. 

I purchased two of the Era 100’s and both are exhibiting the same poor response to Alexa voice commands. To add to my frustration I have found that when issuing an Alexa voice command my Sonos One that is still on my system and located upstairs in a bedroom responds to my command and starts playing the music selection whilst the Era 100 sits there silent.  There is clearly a serious software issue that feels like it’s a Sonos rather than an Amazon issue.  

Bonjour, 

Exactement le même problème avec ma sonos Era 100.  Plusieurs demandes à alexa pour que la led d'écoute se fige et que l'ordre s'exécute. 

Aucun pb avec la commande vocale Sonos…

Aucun ticket encore chez Sonos…

Aucun problème avec la Sonos One. 

Cdt

My Era 100 fails to respond quite a lot of the time. My Sonos one in another room responds even through a closed door.  I’m done shouting at the dam thing. Complaint outgoing. 

Badge

Just got an Era 100 and have the exact same problem as the video. Firmware is 16.0, I guess we just have to wait for a fix in a future update?

Can I say that of all the bugs I've had since purchasing Era 100 (music playing by itself and sound voice assistant that is activated at random) this is the most annoying and makes me want to throw them out the window? Fine. I did.