Alexa voice control - for one night only

Set up the new Alexa/Sonos intergration app last night (UK) worked fine last night but no longer works this evening. The Alexa app can see all my Sonos speakers and if I ask Alexa to play some music on one of the speakers she says that she play selected music on selected speaker then nothing plays.

Back to the Sonos app.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Exactly the same here (also in the UK), although it stopped the same evening. Oddly I can pause and change the volume via Alexa, but as above if I ask for something to play Alexa confirms it and then nothing happens.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
The skill is in beta, and you could help by submitting your issue to Sonos support. Posting here isn't quite the same, especially if you can provide a diagnostic # for them to review, and see if anything pops out.
Same situation here, but in my case I was able to fix the issue by renaming the Sonos speakers to something different than the rooms. i.e. Lounge instead of Living Room. Apparently you could be sending music to your light bulbs etc. (if named the same) and obviously hearing nothing.
As stated, posting to the feedback section is better, and so is submitting a diagnostic and listing the reference number here or the feedback page.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/beta
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Just to add to the collective — same here, just affecting one zone, all others respond normally. Tried the usual (reboot, forgetting skill, renaming room) but nothing worked. Have submitted a diagnostic but if anyone has a fix they would like to share %?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Some really great troubleshooting steps here for you guys. Generally speaking, disabling the skill and going through the setup again tends to fix this sort of behavior.
I have the same issue with the latest release version. No sound on the morning. Alexa (via Dot or on the One) not working, but Sonos app working. Any hints on debugging this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Souhl

Are you still experiencing problems?
@UKMedia No, working again.
We suffer same issues. Sometimes will acknowledge but nothing happens, also times says "living room isnt responding
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi SmartHome1

Have you tried these from Ryan?

Some really great troubleshooting steps here for you guys. Generally speaking, disabling the skill and going through the setup again tends to fix this sort of behavior.

If so and you are still experiencing problems then follow these steps that I've listed in a previous post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239

Please retest and if the problem remains then submit a diagnostic and post the number here.
I had exactly the same problem for weeks but now fixed 100% of the time. On the home network I used a mix of static and DCHP assigned I/P addresses and sonos was on DHCP. DHCP addresses are reassigned every so often, by default mine was 24hrs. Sonos would play perfectly for 1 day via Alexa and then stop and the DHCP reassignment was the reason.

Go into your DHCP settings and find your Sonos devices and then you can fix the DCHP assisgned I/P address permanently to the Sonos devices so they never change. Worked perfectly. This is also the only way Sonos recommend and support according to a note I found on their website. See https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/how-do-you-set-a-static-ip-on-a-sonos-player-6732661/index1.html#post15978392

Setting this up will be different depending on your network DCHP setup / router. I use Ubiquiti as a network brand and it was so simple to do, just find the device in DCHP reservations and then click fix.

Hope this helps