Answered

Alexa voice assist stops working S2

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

68 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thank you for your feedback.I will try tonight when I will back from work. 

It's just worked for me too- I added the skill through the desktop alexa site and then all just went smoothly...

No luck here so far.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello, it works since yesterday evening for me too. Activation is ok by alexa.amazon web site then audio services in Sonos app. I suspect server issue...

Badge

Good news for you. Do you think you do specific thing that explain it works now ??

I did everything exactly as I had done before, just this time it worked when I must have tried 50+ times before and got the above messages.

The support person on the phone did say they’d had a lot of calls about this.

I enabled and linked the skill via alexa.amazon.co.uk first, then I added the alexa voice service in the S2 app. After that, I tested that the One worked before setting a Play:1 as preferred speaker for my other Alexa enabled devices.

@Psykhe try the above, which worked for me yesterday

Thats what I was doing. Over alexa.amazon.de, though, because I am from germany.

Tried it yet again over alexa.amazon.co.uk, got redirected to alexa.amazon.de when I added the skill and continued with the whole authorizing from there as usual, but strangely enough it worked this time. 

Cannot imagine it is because I went to co.uk first, I suspect the server is still a bit unstable. And I will for sure not disable the skill and try adding it again to test it ;)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Good news for you. Note I’m french and I use alexa.amazon.fr… It really looks like a big server issue. 

Agree with you : I’m not ready to desactivate this skill !!

Userlevel 1

having the same problem here. Anyone with a solution? 

Badge

@agarciat it started working again for me yesterday:

1. Enable the Sonos skill and do the account linking via the alexa web app first; alexa.amazon.co.uk
  2. Add the alexa voice service in the S2 controller mobile app

The issues are still persistent here in the U.S. Sonos has been very quiet about the issue or a resolution. A few people here mentioned using the PC software for upgrades and getting the Alexa piece operational. To my knowledge there is no v2.0 version of the PC software available. I am pretty sure Sonos has stopped making the PC and Mac software at this point. Curious where others have found this software.

Badge

@d2iguy there are S2 versions of the controller for OSX I am certain (as I use a Mac) for windows, let me check…

Windows

Mac

Userlevel 1

@agarciat it started working again for me yesterday:

1. Enable the Sonos skill and do the account linking via the alexa web app first; alexa.amazon.co.uk
  2. Add the alexa voice service in the S2 controller mobile app

I am afraid that it does not work. If you have s1 ecosystems and an S2 at the same time under the same account, you are stuck to the S1. It does not matter how you do it  but you will not be able to change it and repoint it to the s2 ecosystem

Badge

Ah, I see.

Can you not factory reset your S1 devices then add them to your S2 setup? Or do you have S1 devices that are incompatible with S2?

I am afraid that it does not work. If you have s1 ecosystems and an S2 at the same time under the same account, you are stuck to the S1. It does not matter how you do it  but you will not be able to change it and repoint it to the s2 ecosystem

Userlevel 1

Yes, I have some devices that are not compatible so I have no option but to have the s1 and the s2.  Now something that worked is completely broken and does not talk to each other. Feels like been back to 1995 and  having a mac write  and word perfect document....

Badge

Urgh.

If you use gmail, maybe you could have two accounts? Gmail doesn't consider the period in an email address, so first.last@gmail.com is the same as  firstlast@gmail.com - I’ve used it to have 2 accounts use the same email address before.

S1 on one sonos account, S2 on the other, both linked to the same Alexa account.

Apologies if you’re not using gmail!

Yes, I have some devices that are not compatible so I have no option but to have the s1 and the s2.  Now something that worked is completely broken and does not talk to each other. Feels like been back to 1995 and  having a mac write  and word perfect document....

Userlevel 1

You cant link two accounts to one alexa

Badge

12.0.1 UPDATE

Updated my system to 12.0.1 this morning after seeing iOS updates for S2 and Alexa apps.

Upgrade was fine but I had to reboot my router for the broadcast to behave correctly on half the system.

However I did notice that my original issue returned where Alexa was reporting to play music on Sonos, but no request was being received by the Play:1 and no audio… I feared the problem was back, but I resolved the issue much easier this time by disabling then re-enabling the Sonos device from within the Alexa app.

[SOLVED]

This morning I successfully pulled my Sonos ONE back into Alexa. It looks like the 12.0.1 release fixes the issue. But, there is a catch: the 12.0.1 update will not come install if you were an early adopter of S2 via SONOS. Here are the symptoms and the fix:

• Within the SONOS app, you go to System - About My System and you will see you are running Version 12.0
  • If you go to System - System Updates and check for updates, the SONOS app will indicate there is an update and take you to the app store. There you will see the version is 12.0.1.
  • The app store WILL NOT give you the option to install or upgrade as it “thinks” you already have the upgraded versions (12.01)...but you don’t.
  • Uninstall the app from your device and then go back to the app store and install the app store-version. Once complete, check the System-About My System and you will see it now says Version 12.0.1.
  • Now go and add the Alexa assistant back to your devices and you should not longer get the dreaded unable to connect to Alexa error.

Give this process a shot and see if you have the same success. Go luck!

Solved also with the new 12.01.1 update. I needed just to Restart the phone.

Note: Only worked when I first activated the Sonos skill (Was also not working before) in Alexa before doing the voice service activation in Sonos. 

Also Spotify is now working with Alexa over Sonos Beam.

Bug fixed :)

• Now Amazon just needs to allow English language when I have a German account, its bad I cannot change the language, I can be in Germany and want to speak in English

its still not working for me at all.  Glad to hear it is sorted for some though.  shows there is progress.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Note: Only worked when I first activated the Sonos skill (Was also not working before) in Alexa before doing the voice service activation in Sonos. 

• Now Amazon just needs to allow English language when I have a German account, its bad I cannot change the language, I can be in Germany and want to speak in English

Hi

@BladeRunner73 This is possible now. Please open the Sonos App/Settings/Services & Voice and then under each device you can select the language.

Hi

@BladeRunner73 This is possible now. Please open the Sonos App/Settings/Services & Voice and then under each device you can select the language.

Does not work here in Germany. I have the amazon.de account and also the itunes set to .de due to delivery address and prices.

I have in the Sonos app language set to English US for my Beam under voice services. Still Alexa is German language.

if you have a way to do it please let me know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That’s strange.  I have a UK account but can select German within the Sonos App and Alexa will speak in German.

I’m not sure if that is a restriction with a German Account but it may be worth Disabling and then Enabling the Sonos Skill in the Alexa App.  Also what have you set the device location to in the Alexa App?

I have had the same problems with S2. All was fine until I installed this new version. I tried re-enabling the Sonos skill in Alexa many times. Sometimes it successfully installed, other times it didn’t. But even when it was successful, Alexa still didn’t work on my Sonos One. Finally, I deleted the Alexa Voice Service from the Sonos app, and added it back in. It worked! Hoorah!

Badge

I’ve tried almost every option and still nothing!! So frustrating. All of a sudden one day (after updating the app to Sonos 2), Alexa just wouldn’t work on my Sonos One (ie no response to the wake word). I deactivated the Alexa skill from the Sonos app and also disabled the skill from the Alexa app. Every time I try to add the Alexa skill back into the Sonos app, it gives me an error message. I have already it set up from the Alexa app.