Answered

Alexa Switch to tv

• 26 January 2020
  • 20 replies

Hi,

I’ve had a beam for about 2 months and all was working fine with Alexa and an LG tv. But a couple of weeks ago the “Alexa switch to tv” command stopped working. It gives the following reply “Sorry. The device this device is no longer supported”. Has anyone else noticed this/have a solution? Which device is it referring to?

Thanks. 

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 13 February 2020, 21:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

I’m also getting this issue recently. Bought the beam before Christmas and it worked fine, but the past few weeks asking Alexa to switch to TV no longer works. Switching within the Sonos app works fine. 
Alexa replies with “Sorry, the device this device is no longer supported”

Have just tried changing the voice service to google and the command works fine, deleted it from Alexa and unliked from Amazon, then reset it up with Alexa, but still the same issue!

Same issue. I don’t use this often, but just noticed today “Alexa, switch to tv” isn’t working anymore. She tells me “Sorry, the device this device is no longer supported.”

I have to go into the Sonos app to change it back, which is super annoying for anyone who isn’t logged into my Sonos account. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I am experiencing the same issue also when asking Alexa to switch to TV. Asking Alexa to turn TV on and turn TV off still works well enough so it’s odd that this one command has stopped working, which on the face of it is a very Beam specific command.

That’s the problem with software that has dependencies across multiple parties, both sides must stay in synch when there are changes. This issue is the reality that the future holds for all our smart home devices and why the discussion around Sonos ending support for older devices has sparked a storm of responses. Softrware degrades over time, more so than hardware in my opinion.

We have a new Beam, I set it all up a few weeks ago and it’s been great, the kids would use Alexa for music, questions etc and would ‘switch back to tv’ without an issue - u TIL tonight, when asked Alexa simply says , ‘the device - this device is no longer supported’ I’ve been through both apps and everything is online and the auto play is enabled etc, nothing has changed!!

i can switch back to TV visa the Sonos app but not with Alexa.

help.

thanks

Jimmy

So what’s the answer???

Badge

Ciao a tutti,da un paio di mesi ho una Sonosbeam,tutto bene,anzi perfetto,solo che a volte Alexa si attiva da sola senza chiamarla...succede anche a voi?

I’m having the same issue, LG oled tv connected to my Sonos beam via hdmi 2 ARC. Alexa allows me to turn the tv off and on. But will give me the “sorry the device this devise is no longer supported” if I ask it to “switch to

tv” which had worked without issue. Music is launched via the Sonos app on my iPhone. Any help would be great ;) 

Anyone managed to resolve this issue yet? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi everyone, I wanted to let you all know that the team is looking into this issue. The Beam should be able to use Alexa with that command to switch the inputs but it looks like the command is failing in some cases. They’re working on it with the team over at Amazon Alexa right now, and I’ll let you know when I hear more.

I’m going to mark this as the answer to the thread for now so everyone sees it.

1. “This feature isn’t working”
  2. “Yes, we know”
  3. Marked as resolved.

Makes sense.

2. “Yes, we know”
  3. Marked as resolved.

Makes sense.

Marked as answered, not resolved.   The forum mechanism of answering a question automatically puts the post at the top of the thread where it’s easy for people to see.

2. “Yes, we know”
  3. Marked as resolved.

Makes sense.

Marked as answered, not resolved.   The forum mechanism of answering a question automatically puts the post at the top of the thread where it’s easy for people to see.

Is there a resolved status in this forum? “Answer” to me pretty much means that this question is closed, aka done, aka resolved. I’d be shocked if this gets updated. 

Also, I was VERY happy to see an answer to this question, only to be let down when there… wasn’t actually an answer. 

Badge

I’m having exactly the same problem except I don’t even know how to switch back from within the app… have to ask Alexa to turn off the tv and then ask to turn it back on…

This is the second time in the last 3-6 months I’ve had an issue like this. Last time Alexa replied with something different, but to the effect. Turned off automatic updates now because I’m sick of having my sound system be broken.

All working again now thank you :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I’ve gotten official word from the team that there should be a fix for this issue heading out to systems now. Sometimes cloud updates take a few days to reach everyone, but go ahead and test the switch to TV command and let us know how it’s going.

A few syntax that should all work:

“Alexa, switch to TV.”

“Alexa, switch input to TV.”
“Alexa, switch to TV/switch input to TV on (Room Name).”

Userlevel 2

I’ve gotten official word from the team that there should be a fix for this issue heading out to systems now. Sometimes cloud updates take a few days to reach everyone, but go ahead and test the switch to TV command and let us know how it’s going.

A few syntax that should all work:

“Alexa, switch to TV.”

“Alexa, switch input to TV.”
“Alexa, switch to TV/switch input to TV on (Room Name).”

Ryan - I have just bought a Beam and also experiencing this issue with switching back to TV audio after streaming.   None of the suggested syntax work but TV on/off does so the account linking and device integration is in place.

Can you advise please what version this ‘fix’ will b in and how i get it  please. (obviously as my Beam is new my system version got updated to the latest software available just 2 days ago but Im still affected )

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

The fix is cloud based, so there’s no version that you can see in order to check.

What error are you receiving from Alexa when you use these commands? Same on all of them?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I tried this yesterday. TV on with sound from the Beam. Used the Sonos App to start music on the Beam, then used the command “Alexa switch to TV” and it worked fine.

The only way I can get this command to work any more is by saying 
“Alexa, set mode to TV on [Sonos Room Name]”

The only way I can get this command to work any more is by saying 
“Alexa, set mode to TV on [Sonos Room Name]”

That has always been the instruction I have used too, works every time for me, but I find the `Alexa, switch to TV’ command is somewhat ‘hit and miss’.