Question

Alexa stops working??

• 29 August 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge

Here’s the issue I’m having: I pair my Sonos Beam to my Amazon Alexa account. Everything is working great for a day or two. Then, Alexa stops responding to me after a few days. However, if I manually hold down the mute/mic button on the Beam, Alexa still works.

I used to think it might be an authentication issue with my Alexa app. But I’m signed in and shows my Sonos is online. It’s also weird that I can still manually use Alexa by pressing a button on my Sonos.

For whatever reason, voice just stops working with Beam. Exact same issue with Google Assistant. It just stops working.

Anyone else experiencing similar voice issues? What’s the fix?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

Touching the mic button on your Beam doesn't manually trigger as you assume, it only toggles the mic on and off.

I wonder if someone is accidentally toggling the mic off, it's very easy to do when dusting, and then you are toggling it back on later.

If this happens again can you check if the small white light next to the mic is on or off before you touch the mic button. If it's off then it's been physically disabled already, as this isn't software controlled for privacy reasons.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @RyanDeLeon.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I agree with @UKMedia. Touching the microphone logo on any voice-enabled Sonos speaker toggles the microphone status on or off. We do not need to hold the button down then talking or giving commands. There is a little white light on top of the microphone logo that indicates whether the microphone status is on or off. If the light status only lights up when holding down the microphone button and does not stay light up after tapping on the microphone logo, I would like to suggest the following guide to possibly help fix the issue.

1. Log out of ALL Amazon-related apps which are and not limited to the following. (Amazon Prime, Amazon Shopping, Amazon Alexa, etc.) 
  2. Open the Amazon Alexa app and disable the Sonos Skill.
  3. De-register any Sonos product on the Alexa App.
  4. Open the Sonos App.
  5. Remove the Alexa Voice service.
  6. Force close Sonos app.
  7. Force close the Alexa App.
  8. Reopen the Sonos App. Add Alexa as a voice service.
  9. Open Alexa app Add Sonos as skill
  10. Register Sonos speaker
  11. Add music service.
  12. Test to check if it works.
  13. Submit a diagnostic to capture all information performed on the Sonos devices.

Please let me know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,