Alexa started adding “playing on Sonos” to all her responses

Userlevel 3
  • Contributor I
  • 5 replies
I have been using a Sonos one and Sonos Beam since each were released. In just this last week, when requesting music using Alexa on both of these devices, Alexa has started adding “now playing on Sonos” to the end of her confirmation. So now she’ll say something like this “getting your KCRW radio station from Tune-In, playing on Sonos.”
Prior to this week, she never added the “playing on Sonos”.
For the life of me I can’t think of any change I made to my Sonos set up in the last week, so no idea what caused this change. This is pretty annoying, because I don’t even have any non-Sonos Alexa devices, so of course it’s playing on Sonos with every request I make, lol!
Does anyone know of any way to disable her adding “playing on Sonos” to her confirmations?

Thanks! 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I've had the same issue with Alexa saying "playing on Sonos' for the past week. I assumed it was because I bought an Echo Dot, although I haven't opened the box or set it up yet. I would also be interested in disabling it.
Will switching over to 'brief mode' in the Amazon App perhaps resolve it?

Goto “Settings/Alexa Account/Alexa Voice Responses”

Let me know if that works.?
If I remember correctly, Alexa used to say the Room Name previously, like “on Living Room”, for example, but perhaps Amazon are trying to now streamline things by using ‘on Sonos' for all our devices instead.
Userlevel 3
My Alexa was already set to brief mode, so no luck there unfortunately. Good idea though.
My Alexa was already set to brief mode, so no luck there unfortunately. Good idea though.Ah, worth a try.

I do agree with the comments that if a user is speaking direct to a Sonos device, it seems a little pointless to then add, “now playing on Sonos” at the end, as it is merely just (over)stating the obvious.
Ditto. My Alexa dots starting adding this as well. I used to have to tell her what room and she'd respond. Then after adding my groups in Alexa, she would just play everywhere the dot was assigned on Sonos - without the "playing on Sonos" bit.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Yes same here. Anything which perpetuates Alexa's over loud announcements is really annoying, particularly when the information is totally useless.
Badge +1
Same here. It’s very annoying! Is Amazon trying to convince us to use the google assistant instead (once it’s rolled out)? 😉
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Happily this has stopped now for me, I don't know if there was an update somewhere but after I couldn't get my One to play anything this morning I rebooted and all back to normal.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Ahhhh! She's started saying it again