Alexa "Sorry something went wrong" response when requesting radio stations via Tune in.

• 25 November 2018
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 19 replies
Alexa unable to play any radio stations from Tune in apart from the BBC. A request to play BBC radio 2 for example, Alexa responds with "Playing BBC 2 from tune in". All other radio station requests from tune in always generate the same response, "Sorry something went wrong". This issue is replicated across three separate devices, sonos one and two beams. All tune in stations available manually using the Sonos app. Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, cdubb. Welcome to the community. First step is to open the Alexa App and remove the Sonos Skill and then re-Enable. Please let us know how you get on. If that doesn’t work, please see this thread here. Please let us know whether or not this works.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi Edward, thanks for your reply, skill removed and the enabled several times without success, both in Alexa mobile and PC apps. Have been liaising with Sonos support for some time with this without success. Thanks
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Sonos technical support (America) have been in contact. They have spent the best part of an hour checking the the whole system via remote assistance. Issue has now been escalated to Sonos (Europe). Will post updates.
Same issue here, very frustrating. Await the fix from the Sonos Europe I guess.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Part of the diagnosis was to reinstate an echo dot back into the system which had become redundant since installation of the smart speakers. This worked perfectly. All requests to play any radio station via the dot were confirmed to be from radio "Tune in". Still same "Sorry" response from Sonos devices. Using dot as a temporary fix.
I have found a 'workaround' that works well for me. So situation is, I use Tune In radio through Alexa via Sonos One. I listen to Absolute Classic Rock in the evenings and switch to Magic UK in the mornings (and vice versa) problem I was having was that Alexa would not change from one to the other "Something went wrong" - every time. I would have to manually change through the Sonos app.

However, I asked Alexa to switch from Absolute Classic Rock to "Smooth UK" and she did this, I could then happily switch from Smooth to Magic, essentially using Smooth UK as a stepping stone. Try asking Alexa to play "Smooth UK from Tune In" THEN once she has done this, ask for your required station. Would be good to hear if anyone else can successfully use this workaround (to prove I am not going mad 😃 )
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi Tim4971. Carried out instructions as per your comments above. Still no luck. The response to play "Smooth UK from Tune in" was met with the usual "Sorry something went wrong". I can scroll through the hundreds of radio stations that are available from tune in and select any station manually via the Sonos app. When requesting any tune in station via alexa the response is always "Sorry", apart from any BBC station. There is no issue with any BBC station request. All tune in station requests are available when requested via the "Echo Dot". Thanks for taking the time to post.
Hi cdubb, yes it failed for me too last night... BUT... i find that if i can get Alexa to change to any non-BBC Tune In station, that the stepping stone effect works.... Good luck.... Try Heart Uk... that worked when Smooth failed....
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi Tim4971. Still not working. Aleaxa unable to pay ANY tune in station when requested via Sonos players, but they will play any conceivable BBC station that exists from tune in. ALL tune in stations available in any room in any configuration on any player via alexa through echo dot. Still awaiting response from Sonos europe. Thanks again for posting.
Thanks Cdubb it would seem the issue is 'inconsistent' across devices and networks (which i believe is valuable yet frustrating news to software developers - indirectly in the trade!) Once again today, using the 'stepping stone' technique, I have managed to get Alexa to navigate to the stations on Tune In that i want. Getting her/him/it (!) to get the correct items on my shopping list is a whole new challenge!! Yet entertaining when trying to translate in Morrisons.. Coffee bags = Koppabergs - the AI is now educating me!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi Tim4971, Sorted !!! Purchased a third beam. Installed as per previous Sonos equipment. Delighted to discover there were no request issues whatsoever with this new beam. The new beam, via alexa, will instantly discover any "Tune in" Station and play on the device as requested. Alas still the same "Sorry something went wrong" response from existing three smart devices, (Sonos One, 1st and 2nd beams). Went into the alexa app, via PC, to compare the settings for the new 3rd beam against existing devices. Touchdown!!!!! The new beam had my postcode entered in the "zip code" field. The zip code fields for the previous three devices were not completed, the fields were empty. I entered my postcode and address into the zip code for the first original beam. It then gave me the choice to select my original post code with just a house number. This original data must have existed from when the speakers were first installed. I completed the process for the remaining two devices. ALL devices now play any "Tune In" radio station as requested and everything is all back to normal. I assume all the zip codes must have been deleted either during the set up process for the 2nd beam or during some update. I cannot believe it was something as simple as that and despite detailed and involved support from Sonos technical, this was not identified. Still waiting for Sonos support to respond to original requests. Hope this is of help to anybody with similar issues.
Hey Cdubb - you are seriously in the wrong business (not sure what you do lol). You have discovered something the whole dev team at Sonos could not!! I am yet to try this as out and about but will do as soon as I get back... Great work! Happy Holidays!!