Answered

Alexa + Sonos + Alarm = Does not work with Music ?!

• 29 November 2018
  • 6 replies

WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT !

I bought a Sonos One.
I just wanted to be able to use the Alarm, in Musical mode (via Spotify, TuneIn, or Deezer), as a Radio-clock radio.
"("Alexa, please wake me up at 7:30, with the Beatles, on Spotify")

This is a very simple feature, which can logically be expected from the Sonos and Alexa wedding.

...Only Sonos Customer Support tells me that this feature...is not available.

TO TOP IT OFF : This function already EXISTS with Echo, Alexa's vocal assistant !

https://mediafeed.org/amazon-alexa-can-now-wake-up-with-music-heres-how/

Whatever their reasons, Sonos and Alexa should allow us to use this feature as soon as possible!

Bernard
icon

Best answer by jgatie 29 November 2018, 16:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Since you can now designate a preferred speaker for each Echo, causing all music requests to default to a designated Sonos unit, one would think this alarm function would play on the preferred speaker and not the Echo. Not at home right now to try it out, but perhaps your outrage is a bit premature?
Not Outrage.
I do not have Echo. But have Sonos One.

And Sonos Customer Service confirmed me that you could not ask Alexa to select a Musical alarm.

I would be more than happy that they 've been mistaken, though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Not Outrage.
I do not have Echo. But have Sonos One.

And Sonos Customer Service confirmed me that you could not ask Alexa to select a Musical alarm.

I would be more than happy that they 've been mistaken, though.

You are correct, the Sonos One doesn't yet support Alarms with Music via Voice Control but you can set them in the Sonos App.
Yes, you are right : it remains possible to use the musical alarm clock through the Sonos App, of course.

But then, I then lose the benefit of the easy way of a vocal command.
What I really wanted with the Sonos-One was to ask, simply, to Alexa "Please, wake me up at seven tomorrow morning, with the Beatles"

What I am really surprised of, is, how could Sonos propose a Sonons-One product, without such Alexa functionnality, when you know that Echo/Alexa make it bery possible ?!

We are speaking here of a super-basic feature that you are expecting from a Speaker-manufacturer proposing its Products embedded with Alexa.

It's like if I was buying a Car with a Bluetooth connection. And this bluetooth, would not allow me to give phone calls or listen to music.

And more simply I would say :
1) I use Sonos to listen to Music.
2) In the meantime, the Combo Sonos-Alexa does not offer me a basic feature to listen to music.

There is something wrong , don't you think so ?

now, I want to be optimistic, and I really hope that Sonos (and Amazon) willl very soon closely work together, and propose such a basic and intuitive feature to Sonos-One users ! :)

The sooner, the better !!

Bernard
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Bernard

I understand your viewpoint but, and it's a big but, even Amazon don't have consistent implementation across their Alexa product line, Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick being two examples. I believe that it is Amazon that drives this, with obviously some product capacity and architecture restrictions as well. In the case of the Sonos One, I would suspect that it is Amazon who are retaining certain functions (see Drop In and Calling) for their exclusive product use.

Hopefully these will eventually permeate through the Alexa family of products but Amazon will always have an eye on their competitive positioning for current products, as well as their product strategy.
I agree with you : It is obviously Amazon who drives how they embed their Alexa technology in third party products.

Now, I think that it would have been more fair, from Sonos, to mention very clearly this lack of feature.

Why ? Because Sonos could expect that a Sonos-Alexa User is much more interested in using Alexa to listen Music, than using Alexa to get the temperature of his living room.

Nothing more than common sense.

Bernard