Question

Alexa Show not seeing sonos speakers

• 26 November 2019
  • 5 replies

So i just got an Alexa Show 10 and 5 in the attempt to make my home a “smart” home. In the Alexa app I took on the Sonos Skill and did all the allowing credentials to let Sonos and Alexa communicate. My speakers show up in my app and will turn off lights when i use my 3 Sonos one’s to do voice commands. however when i try to set up music groups in the alexa app i will not recognise my sonos speakers as viable options. Can someone help me? I contacted alexa help and we deleted apps and rebooted but that did not work so they told me its a sonos issue? Nice lets pass the buck!!!!   

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

You are 'perhaps' either trying to add the Sonos devices to the wrong type of group in the Alexa App, or you may have created the correct Groups already, as you installed the Sonos Skill. The skill usually invites the user to also complete the Alexa Group setup.

On opening the Alexa App goto the devices tab at the right-hand side of the main bottom bar. Look below the main buttons on screen and see if you have the Groups setup already.. here is my screenshot below, showing my groups which are called …

• Bedroom
  • Dining Room
  • Hallway
  • Kitchen

If your groups aren’t there, then setup a group using the + sign at top right of the screen and choose option to “Add Group”.

I appreciate the feedback, however I am set up in groups.  When I try to set up multi room music groups it only recognizes my 2 new shows and not my Sonos speakers. 
I am sure I am missing something really stupid. In the quest of a smart home I am now realizing how dumb I am. 

I appreciate the feedback, however I am set up in groups.  When I try to set up multi room music groups it only recognizes my 2 new shows and not my Sonos speakers. 
I am sure I am missing something really stupid. In the quest of a smart home I am now realizing how dumb I am. 

What you mention is in fact correct … the multiroom speaker Groups is for Amazon echo devices only. To create the groups for Sonos you need to use the groups that I mentioned in my earlier post.

I will happily try to explain how the Amazon Groups work with Sonos, but perhaps first take a look at this thread below, which might actually help you to understand them and how they are divided up into three sections for Sonos Control, grouping and playback. The groups are dynamic in their structure...

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-sound-not-ducking-6832518#post16375465

If you still need further detailed information, then please come back to me and I will refer you to some more information and links.

Okay! I have attached my Sonos speakers to the kitchen!! Yay!! Now I can play throughout the downstairs by selecting speakers I want in that group. However I want it to play on my Alexa Show as well. It was and when I went to change volume in Sonos now Alexa show will not play music. It’s like peaking back an onion 

Okay! I have attached my Sonos speakers to the kitchen!! Yay!! Now I can play throughout the downstairs by selecting speakers I want in that group. However I want it to play on my Alexa Show as well. It was and when I went to change volume in Sonos now Alexa show will not play music. It’s like peaking back an onion 

Sorry tagehr, but the music will only play the same audio stream on one manufacturer’s devices at a time .. it won’t play on both the Alexa devices and Sonos devices. It’s one or the other. ☹️