Question

Alexa says “Sonos” doesn’t support that

• 31 December 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge
I have an echo dot and spot and Sonos playbar5.1 (playbar, speakers and sub). Usually it works fine to say “Alexa set volume 2 on living room”. Living room being the name of the playbar setup. However Alexa will also often respond w two different responses upon receiving the above command. 1st response is “living room doesn’t support that”. And. 2nd response which I received multiple times today (for the first time) is “living room is not responding”. I may have fixed the second response by manually changing the playbar volume using the tv remote however the issue may occur again since I don’t know why it happened. In regards to the first response I don’t understand why sometimes the volume will change and other times not. I try very hard to state the command exactly the same each time I say it. Also I am the only inhabitant of the household so there is not an issue of different voices/persons giving the command. Anyone experience the same or have a solution?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Do you have some other smart home device - a smart light bulb or power outlet for example - that might also be named Living Room? Or if you have created a group of devices that is called Living Room... that might do it too. That might be what Alexa is choosing when you simply say "Living Room".

You can either rename your Sonos (i.e. Living Room Sonos) then add Sonos to your commands (i.e. Play 80s Pop on Living Room Sonos), or you can rename your other device (i.e. Living Room Light).
Badge
I do have the Phiips Hue bulbs and the grouping of 'living room' although I turn lights on/off with other names for each bulb. so, I changed the group name and we'll see if it helps. I did wonder about that. I will also probably rename the playbar as well, but will wait a few days to see if the renameing of the Hue group fixes the problem. thank-you for the suggestion.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I've found Room Name + Device Type works well for me. e.g. Kitchen Sonos, Kitchen Echo Dot, etc.